ZL SC53c N 14500 Issue

StephenD

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have read the lengthy thread on here about ZL AA lights with 14500's (and everything else on the internet about this while I waited for it to come!). I have the protected lumintop 14500's with usb-C charging, which someone else said worked fine. The light is turning on but it only has two modes. At first I thought it just had one mode, as single, double or long hold all went to the same level. However I accessed programming in G6 and by going down quite a few levels I found one lower mode, so just two. The higher mode also isn't super high, it's roughly medium. Any one have any idea what might be going on? It works fine with AA, and I've been doing the thing of holding down the button with an empty tube when swapping between AA and 14500.

Thank you!

Stephen

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had same issue. And I tried Vapcell flat top and button top. Im thinking Zebralight changed something in the driver to prevent using 3.7v li-ions. My older SC53c N when it was released worked fine with a li-ion. This newer model does not

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running an Acebeam 14500 in my SC53C N just fine, so maybe Zebralight did change something in the lights. Is the highest output at least higher than it would be on a standard AA?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I have used a sofirn 900mah 14500 in my sc53c n, not extensively but have used a little bit. It's much brighter on H1 (I didn't try any other H modes) and seems to work just fine on all other modes with what seems the same brightness as AA. There is one strange behavior and that's turning on to the sub lumen modes it has a brighter pre flash first. Not every time and it's not max output, but kind of weird.

StephenD

Newly Enlightened
I've had same issue. And I tried Vapcell flat top and button top. Im thinking Zebralight changed something in the driver to prevent using 3.7v li-ions. My older SC53c N when it was released worked fine with a li-ion. This newer model does not
Thanks all, this is what I wondered so if you've found the same thing I suspect you are right and they've changed something since that thread 2 years ago. So li ion truly not supported anymore then. I agree also Jon, I was on the fence about the pro's and con's anyway (e.g. reported lower run times on M1, probably my most used level), so I'm happy with it as an AA light, just good to know what's going on.

I don't have any testing equipment so hard for me to compare visually with the delay between swaps sorry but it's certainly not the 500 lumens H1 with the old model, something around 50 or 100 I would guess.

I'll just be glad it didn't break!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wondered how the folks saying the newly released ZL AA is Li-ion OK when ZL says it's not.
Maybe they can identify the driver components capable of being zapped with 4.2 volts.
I don't have those skills.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wondered how the folks saying the newly released ZL AA is Li-ion OK when ZL says it's not.
Maybe they can identify the driver components capable of being zapped with 4.2 volts.
I don't have those skills.

It hasn't gone poof or KAPOWIE yet, so that's how I know😁

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
User/Date
Customer
(10/30/2023 11:56:41 AM)

Question on the: SC53c N High CRI AA Flashlight

I see two people on the Flashlight Forums reporting that the SC53c N will not work with a Lithium Ion(Unofficial Support) on new lights they just recently bought. They have other SC53c N lights from first batch that work fine (unofficial).

Where any changes made to the driver recently to prevent Lithium Ion from working or are they just mistaken. Hope to get them on the right track!

thanks
(LIPS)

----------------------------------------

User/Date
Staff
(Adminstrator) (10/30/2023 12:25:29 PM)

Recent batches of SC53c N come with all new driver circuitry and software designs meant for SC54/H54 series lights that we'd like to try it out in the current (SC53) lights. I don't know the specific details but I know for sure that supporting Li-ion batteries is not part of the design/testing considerations, and because of that we actually have no ideas of what would or should happen if li-ion batteries are used.

User/Date
Customer
(10/30/2023 12:32:25 PM)

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is actually much dimmer when using li-ion. I only use AA anyway because the extra little brightness isn't worth frying the components

Well that makes sense to why li-ion won't work, hmmm SC54… can't wait!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the next question is are the lights with the new guts any brighter or more efficient than the ones with the old circuitry when using the same standard NiMH AA?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an interesting dilemma.
I'm not sure one can boost voltage without decreasing current.
If you could boost voltage without decreasing current then you would be creating energy, and I don't believe we have figured that one out yet. My hunch is brightness remains the same..... but i may be totally incorrect on all the above.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
User/Date
Customer
(10/30/2023 11:56:41 AM)

Question on the: SC53c N High CRI AA Flashlight

I see two people on the Flashlight Forums reporting that the SC53c N will not work with a Lithium Ion(Unofficial Support) on new lights they just recently bought. They have other SC53c N lights from first batch that work fine (unofficial).

Where any changes made to the driver recently to prevent Lithium Ion from working or are they just mistaken. Hope to get them on the right track!

thanks
(LIPS)

----------------------------------------

User/Date
Staff
(Adminstrator) (10/30/2023 12:25:29 PM)

Recent batches of SC53c N come with all new driver circuitry and software designs meant for SC54/H54 series lights that we'd like to try it out in the current (SC53) lights. I don't know the specific details but I know for sure that supporting Li-ion batteries is not part of the design/testing considerations, and because of that we actually have no ideas of what would or should happen if li-ion batteries are used.

User/Date
Customer
(10/30/2023 12:32:25 PM)

This is pretty messed up in my opinion, not telling people ahead of time, exactly what they're getting. When someone buys a particular model of something, they expect it to be the same across units.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is pretty messed up in my opinion, not telling people ahead of time, exactly what they're getting. When someone buys a particular model of something, they expect it to be the same across units.

ZL — in the product description — specifies the battery voltage range and lists the battery types by name.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree. They know their customers are using Lith-Ion in these lights. If they don't know that they are out of touch with reality... They should at least inform the customer the whole driver is changing for a practice run of a new light... 300 lumens in a floody light looks anemic to me in 2023, especially with all the competition doing more lumens. You have 3 groups and 12 settings to customize your output. With the Vapcell F12 (1250mah) you have plenty of overhead for power and run-times, even more so if they increase the efficiency of the driver... Just don't get it; the Eneloop battery only lights are old news...

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
i ordered two black olive pizzas from my local pizza joint...

both had black olives, but... one had black olives from a new can of black olives.

boy did i get ripped off or what?!?

LOLz

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the thing. The product description does not say li-ion is supported. Users shouldn't be using 3.7v li-ion if it works or not. If the light gets toasted, it's on the user. If people want to use li-ions then maybe they should consider a different light that officially supports 3.7v li- ions

Even the first batch of the sc53c N did not officially support li-ions. I don't see what the issue is here

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even the first batch of the sc53c N did not officially support li-ions. I don't see what the issue is here
It seems the issue is that people want a Zebra that runs on 14500, and that is no longer an option.

I wonder if there is any visual difference between the LiIon capable SC53c N and the Non LiIon model? (if someone was hunting AA/LiIon Zebras in the wild)

I can understand the disappointment that Zebralight did not share any advanced notice that they have changed the AA driver so it no longer supports LiIon at all. But there is nothing we can do about that.

imo the 18650 model is a great option if an AA model is not sufficiently bright.

Last edited: