I have a 2D Mag -- Ready to mod!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have a 2D Maglite that is just begging to be modded. So What are some available mods for it? I see that the sandwich shoppe has a 2D to 6AA holder that looks like it would be good for some mods....

luigi

Enlightened
I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) you can't convert it to a Mag85 so your best mod is to build a ROP (Roar of the Pelican).
Since that subject has been discussed a lot lately I will say you should search for ROP and if you have questions post them here and me and others will be very happy to answer.

You will need basically to
- Change the bulb to a Pelican 3854 (www.lighthound.com)
- Change the lens to borofloat or UCL (www.flashlightlens.com or www.lighthound.com). The stock Lens will melt otherwise
- Change the reflector to a metal ask CPF members fivemega, modamag or litho123. There're reflectors for throw or for flood, cammed or camless etc.
- Install a 6aa>2d adapter from CPF user fivemega
- You need 6 rechageable batteries, CBPs 1650 will give you more brigthness than Sanyos or Energizers (www.cheapbatterypacks.com)
- You will want a universal charger for the battery pack or you will need to remove the batteries from the adapter every time, fivemega's 2dto6aa adapter comes with a plug for the charger so you can charge directly.
- Progolding the contacts is just a finishing touch

Hope it helps
Luigi

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the output and runtime for the ROP?
Will the 2D>6AA adapter from Sandwich Shoppe work?
How much do those custom reflectors cost?
Which of the Pelican bulbs do I use, the high or low?

Any other 2D Mg mods I should know about? LED, HID or incan?

I also already have a UCL-LDF lens from flashlight lens.com, will that work?

Last edited:

Turbo_E

Enlightened
runtime is 30-45 min
adapter = yes note (modamag has a 8 AA adapter thats even better. run 7AA's and a dummy cell)
custom reflector is about $25 from Fivemega
you can use either bulb. the low just gives less light and more runtime.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:

What are you looking for in the terms of usage? The 2D can host practically anything.

- 1, 3, 4+ LuxI
- 1, 3, 4+ LuxIII
- 1, 3, 4 LuxV
- 10W WA HID
- ROP, Mag60, Mag11, Mag74, Mag85 (<---if your creative :naughty: )
- colored LEDs
- etc.

:)
-DF

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Whats the output and runtime for the ROP?
Will the 2D>6AA adapter from Sandwich Shoppe work?
How much do those custom reflectors cost?
Which of the Pelican bulbs do I use, the high or low?

I also already have a UCL-LDF lens from flashlight lens.com, will that work?

ROP: http://lights.lightrefineries.org/go/rop

2D->6AA should work. Custom reflectors are not very expensive, I recall picking mine up from the Shoppe as well. MOP cammed is my personal favorite, others have their own preference. MOP cammed gives me a very Surefire-ish beam.

Pelican bulb - high or low depending on your mood - really! :D both work, the low output one extends runtime, the high output one gives more light, so you can customize your light depending on what you expect to need it for.

UCL-LDF is not recommended because of the LDF part, which stands for Lexan Diffusion Film. Lexan may not tolerate the high temperatures very well. Standard clear UCL or Borofloat or mineral glass lenses work great.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
i roasted a spider with my ROP today. i wa too scared to touch it so i busted out the phasers and set to flambé :D

RoyJ

Enlightened
Turbo_E said:
i roasted a spider with my ROP today. i wa too scared to touch it so i busted out the phasers and set to flambé :D
I guess a Mag85 is possible if you use 8 CBP AAs. Don't know if they'll fit 4-across in an unbored Mag.

The trick I use (to fit 4 Rayovac 2500s) is to re-wrap the cells with clear packing tape. It's surprisingly easy, and if you use the cheap dollar store version (avoid the thick, quality ones) they're really thin.

It made my 4 cells go from not fit to rattling inside!