Fell off the wagon at Target. (Dorcy 1 Watt CR123)

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
target has really improved on their stock since I last visited.
And I was doing so good, but I fell to temptation (not that I would be looked down on it here:grin2: ) and got the Dorcy 1x123 1 Watt.
LOVING IT!!
Good bargain for the price. Will post impressions later after I get to play with it some. One thing I did notice, there was a small bug, as in insect!, that was inside the bezel. Luckily I remembered all the threads I read and unscrewed the bezel and easily removed it.
Was bright with the supplied batt, got home and put a used Duracell out of a SF that ws dimming in it. Was not as bright as with the supplied cell, but then it seemed to "step up", twice, and returned to same brightness as the new cell. Circuit kicking in?

Other lights i saw there;
Dorcy 1 watt 3x AAA
Dorcy 3 watt 3 x AAA
RR xenon+3 led x 2C
RR xenn+3 led x 3 AA(?) or was it 3 AAA
Brinkman Max
RR 1 X AA
RR 2 x A
RR latern
Everready folding 2 led x 4 AA
Everready folding flourescent
Everready led latern/flashlight combo
Everready 3 led hardlamp
Everready 6 led headlamp
and Cyclops 3 led, 1 led headlamps

Noticed that I could see part of the insert for the Cyclops and it read "to order extra batts mail to..."
Disappointing.

I actually threw away the Dorcy packaging in the trash can before entering the house so the the missus wouldn't see. Now THATS flashahiloc!
Will post more later.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fell off the wagon at Target.

ahh i remember the good ole' days when I would buy so many flashlights the cashier would ask "are you expoecting a power outage?"

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgot I saw a 28 led light at Target. I think it was 3x AA. Came in packaging I hadn't seen before and did not recognize. About the same size as the Dorcy 3 and 1 watters.

So far am liking the 1x123 Dorcy. No real issues with the switch. I am able to operate it with either thumb or forefinger. However, it is light to the touch and the absence of an audible or felt "click" is taking a little getting used to.
I like the fact of recessed button, no worries of discharge in pocket. Not much bigger than my SF E1. Probably the same size if the KL unit was on it.

Overall satisfied so far. Will test more after dark. On my duty belt at work I have a AA mini Safariland pouch that will house it with room to spare for an extra cr123. Had been carrying a SL Scorp with no fear of light getting turned on accidentally.

WNG

Enlightened
webley445 said:
Forgot I saw a 28 led light at Target. I think it was 3x AA. Came in packaging I hadn't seen before and did not recognize. About the same size as the Dorcy 3 and 1 watters.

Heheheh! Great thread title! Yeah, Target has been seeing a lot of me lately too.
:)

The 28-LED chinese-made light is 3AAA. Bought some from the defunct AXShop.com for $7. The ones I have are very bright floods. Nice output, but the runtime is useless. Dims in 15 minutes on 850mAh NiMHs.

zulu45

Enlightened
You're really going to enjoy that light. I bought one at Sears (Dammit, I paid $30, not $20!) and I love it. It has totally pushed my X1 out of my way for EDC. It's definately a great light, with amazing output, and great regulation. A while back, I had the chance to buy a lot of them on eBay, but I was a fool and didn't get it... It has completely replaced all of my incands for household use. In fact, the only incands that I use anymore is my Surefire 6P, my Brinkmann Maxfire LX, my 4D Maglite, and the xenon on my Streamlight TwinTask 1L. Hehe, of course the Maglite and the Brinkmann are for the "dirty jobs" that I don't want to risk getting my good lights messed up.

Last edited:

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ran my E1 side by side with the Dorcy. On a frseh batt, IMHO, the Dorcy pretty much kept up with the E1.
Personally, I lke the Dorcy better for spill, seemed more noticeable due to the difference in beam quality betwen an led and a incan.
The white light of the led was more pleasing to my eyes.
Just the next step in size from the E1, so more noticeable in the pocket, but I don't have to worry about it turning itself on either.
Flashlight reviews shows that the numbers are not too off from each other, and actually the Dorcy totals a 17 and the E1 a 10.5. It is a noticeable difference to the eye.
In extremely dark envirnment, the E1 will out throw it, but only in the way that an incan out throws an led. Meaning the Dorcy's beam was perceivable on the tree 50 yards away, but very dim. The E1 reached it, but was not bright by much more. It was like the E1 was to the next step of bightness, but still dim itself.
No rattle to the batt inside when shook.
I'm really liking this light the more I handle it.

zulu45

Enlightened
Heh, it's an addictive light. I think that a lot of people are gonna miss out on it, because of it's price and/or name. It costs like a cheapo, but is built like a primo. (That sorta rhymes, but you have to be hammered to appreciate it... :D )

Solar Wind

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one as well back in Jan. Sears had them on sale for 19.99.
Target has them for the same, as a regular price.
I love the run time at a very high percentage of their initial output. :rock:

Sears Hardware near me has some photo batteries on clearance from Duracell that are made up of two cr123a's for $1.99. I've used them with great sucess.

Here's to the designer at Dorcy realigning the rest of their 1 and 3 watt Luxeons to Match this one!!!!!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the tip about the photo batteries, Greg. And, welcome to CPF. I've been very tempted by this light. Seems like a lot of value for $20.

Geoff

dragoman

Enlightened
I have one, I like it. It is much easier to EDC than almost anything else. I do wish it were a bit longer, as my hands are large and turning it on with my thumb is a bit difficult.

It also tends to turn itself sideways at the bottom of a jeans pocket....but these are small things.

Very nice light, glad I picked it up at 20 bucks....

dragoman

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
I replaced the Innova X1 with this light. My wife now carries the Innova in her purse. I only have 1 complaint about the Dorcy:

The lens on my light is getting scratched up pretty quickly. I carry it in my pants pocket with a pen and a palm pda and have no idea how it might be happening.

Does anyone know if there's a way to replace the lens with a glass one?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a great deal. I useually stay away from lights that use cr-123 batteries, BUT I have 2x R-123 L-ion batts just looking for a home. Does anyone know if this light will handle a Li-ion 123? Better to ask before I get one..... HOWEVER I will probably get one anyways:).

Jeff

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
I've got to stay off this site. Had no urge to go buy a light since my wife bought me a 15MCP Thor last week. Read this thread while backing up my computer this morning.............And went and bought one at lunch. :wtf:

WNG

Enlightened
woodasptim said:
I've got to stay off this site. Had no urge to go buy a light since my wife bought me a 15MCP Thor last week. Read this thread while backing up my computer this morning.............And went and bought one at lunch. :wtf:

Hahahha! Same here. I had no reason to pick this one up. But I got my curiosity peaked. And had to check it out. But I'm pleasantly surprised.
Glad I did buy it. Put a big smile on my face.

So, are you confessing buyer's remorse?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
WildRice said:
...I have 2x R-123 L-ion batts just looking for a home. Does anyone know if this light will handle a Li-ion 123?

I put a Li-ion in mine:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/101381

It seems fine, but be warned the driver in this light will definitely over-discharge your cells if they aren't protected. You should also check the bin code on the back of the star, and make a judgement call whether or not it will tolerate the higher voltage of Li-ion. Mine is a RV1K bin (3.5~3.75 volt) and I decided that was high enough. I know some of these Dorcy lights are built with lower Vf stars, and they might be driven too hard.

It's easy to get the head apart, and you can gently lift the star to check the bin without having to de-solder anything.