Hamster powered LED nightlight

TPA

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one has posted this one yet..

The project/webpage is titled "Hamster-Powered Night Light
With Custom Low-RPM Alternator", where they use 2-6 LEDs and a hamster as a convenient light which requires no batteries to work.

Full details here: http://www.otherpower.com/hamster.html

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The overall costs of maintaining a rodent as a pet is more than the costs of AA batteries :D (assuming about 20¢ each for the batteries in a Costco 48 pack.)

trivergata

Enlightened
This is such a stupid idea, I can't belive anyone would do it.

Everyone knows ferrets are twice as efficent as hampsters.................they are the red/orange low Vf items of the rodent world :naughty:

Josh

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Can you imagine a police officer on the beat walking down a long dark alleyway carrying a translucent multi-colored hamster cage with an LED array mounted on the front as his EDC? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Empath

Flashaholic
One post has been deleted. Topics about animals is not a solicitation for joking of, or suggesting, cruelty.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hamsters are one of my favorite pets. Did you know pet hamsters come originally from a very small population in Syria?

:thinking: I'm wondering if hamsters could be trained to light up the LED when they're hungry or in response to some need/stimulus.

Arkayne

Enlightened
HP (Hamster Power) ratings will never be the same. My 600HP Mustang kicks butt at the track. Just don't mind the wood shavings falling out the rear.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
Hamsters are one of my favorite pets. Did you know pet hamsters come originally from a very small population in Syria?

:thinking: I'm wondering if hamsters could be trained to light up the LED when they're hungry or in response to some need/stimulus.

Animals respond well to food. Dogs start behaving like pigs (greedy as all heck) the moment food comes out, this is a known phenomenon :p

Even my friend's fish learned to interpret the front door opening as "people are home, FEED ME" and it would swim to the side of the tank and make bubbling noises. It was quite surprising for a visitor like me until he told me that the fish is normal, it wants 1. attention 2. food 3. preferably both when it does that.

If you feed your hamsters regularly whenever you see them on the wheel, you could eventually condition them to get on the wheel and light the LED in exchange for food. It would make them fat, perhaps, but the good news is at least they're burning it off on the treadmill! :D