LED questions

mastinson

Newly Enlightened
New guy here and thinking about buying my first LED (dorcy metal gear). What happens when the LED goes out can it be replaced or do I just toss the light and get another. Also the metal gear lights have been getting good reviews on here and I need a new light for my truck that is small to replace the 3D maglight in my truck that keeps killing batteries just setting unused, the metal gear looks so cool:lolsign: .

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
first off, Welcome aboard

Chances are very slim that the led will ever die in our lifetime, but in the event that it does, for the price of the light, just toss it and buy a new one.
But, you can always replace the led or upgrade if you want too.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!

You're going to probalby run into the same problem with the batteries dying from self-discharge and the varying temperature ranges that the light will encounter from lack of use. If you need something with about the same level of throw as the Mag (and much more overall light output,) you might want to consider the LEDBeam 3C at $23.95 shipped. If you want something smaller, the SL ProPoly 4AA puts out a more light with a longer run time, though it's probably going to be closer to $31 by the time you get through with shipping. If you want to pick up something locally, the Dorcy Metal Gear might be a good choice, though the AAA batteries and the battery carrier would probably be the weakpoint

mastinson said:
New guy here and thinking about buying my first LED (dorcy metal gear). What happens when the LED goes out can it be replaced or do I just toss the light and get another. Also the metal gear lights have been getting good reviews on here and I need a new light for my truck that is small to replace the 3D maglight in my truck that keeps killing batteries just setting unused, the metal gear looks so cool:lolsign: .

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Two things to check with the Metal Gear. Look for a well centered emitter, some can be way off. Also check that the clip screws went in straight and are fully seated. They are good lights for the money and usually pretty close to white also.
It's true that 3-cell alkaline lights and storage inside a vehicle are problematic.
A single-cell lithium powered light would be less vulnerable but not as bright or inexpensive as the Metal Gear.

mastinson

Newly Enlightened
True with the deteriation of batteries in the truck but i can afford AAA's more than d cell, also will the long life energizer batteries (e2 e3 or something) hurt the metal gear?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just saying my Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

mastinson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the hospitality seem like some good folks here, If anyone is ito firearms please check out thehighroad.com where I am a avid member and lights are also common topic over there.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
mastinson said:
Thanks for the hospitality seem like some good folks here, If anyone is ito firearms please check out thehighroad.com where I am a avid member and lights are also common topic over there.

Just tried thehighroad.com and got some kind of corporate website. I googled and found thehighroad.org. I'll have to check it out as I'm into firearms as well.

Rando

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. By the time your LED gives out under normal conditions, you'll have likely lost the light years earlier. In any case, by that time LED technology will be much better, and a new light will be brighter, cheaper, and last longer with the same batteries.

I'll be checking out TheHighRoad. As I wrote in one of the other threads, my significant other doesn't mind me spending money on lights because it's cheaper than my other hobby: firearms.:)