Keeping camera secure

pmath

Newly Enlightened
I took my dad on the Anzac Day march here in Melbourne yesterday. At some stage during the day I dropped and lost my Mju 500 camera. B@##$%!:thumbsdow

How do people here secure these beasties from escaping?

Peter

drizzle

Enlightened
I've got a compact digital camera that stays in a zipper case on my belt except when I'm taking pictures. I probably should also have a wrist strap on it but I've been using it for years and haven't dropped it yet.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neck strap. ALL the time. Regardless of situation, unless it's safely secured in the bag. Even a 3-pound DSLR... no, make that, ESPECIALLY the DSLR. :)

For smaller cameras you can use a lightweight neck lanyard made from paracord. This keeps it ready to shoot, doesn't get in the way, and keeps it secure.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For my two digitals I've made light weight neck straps from long boot laces. Works great and you can easily wind it around the camera for pocket or case carrying. Never liked the supplied wrist straps.

Geoff

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neck strap or wrist lanyard for small stuff.

Larger cameras get carried wth a camera caddy -- a neck strap with additional straps that go around your chest and then either bungee or quick-release clip to the camera. Keeps the camera or binoculars from bouncing when you move quickly and really keeps them secured. Look in a camera store or in the binocular section of a sporting goods store.

See which would work besst for your camera.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my dSLR I ALWAYs have it either around my neck, shoulder like a sling backpack(particularly when I have my larger lens on it), or when I am taking pictures and cant afford to have it around my neck, I will wrap the strap around my wrist two or three times. I have always found that to work well.

-Cameron

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep my DV video screwed on the end of a monopod, collapsed it's around 12".