Sure Fire 3P or E1?

Craig720

Enlightened
Would you folks recommend a Sure Fire 3P or E1, or possibly another light altogether?

I'm looking to possibly upgrade from my Princeton Tec 20. This light resides in my coat pocket at all times, unless I'm checking tire pressure in the predawn darkness. Then I'm holding it in my mouth.

Brock

Flashaholic
I would recommend the E1 over the 3P without even thinking about it. If you like the Tec 20 I would recommend the TEC Blast or the UKE 2AAA light (pen or pocket). All of these light are in the same brightness range, size and quality are really the issue here. If you want the best go for the E1 ($50). If you are happy with the Tec 20 I would recommend the Blast ($15), it is about the same brightness, but a tighter spot of light and about 1/2 the size and weight.

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm

Gunslinger1LA

Newly Enlightened
Go with the E-1,smaller, lighter and 50% longer run time. Did I mention the pocket clip? You won`t be sorry. If you need more light than that, get a streamlight scorpion
they sell for about $35.00.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Go for the E1.
I compared the E1 and 3P sidebyside a while back, and it's beam is better. It's smaller, lighter and the gun metal one is so cool.

I had one of the 1st production E1's which turned out to have a very fragile Lamp Module which blew after 3 days.

I traded it for a "silver-grey/bluish metallic" coloured E1 as the MN01's were impossible to get hold of (are they still?)

This E1 is with me all the time. Lasts for ages and has a really bright tight beam spot.

I am really very impressed!

Alastair

Craig720

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I would recommend the E1 over the 3P without even thinking about it. If you like the Tec 20 I would recommend the TEC Blast or the UKE 2AAA light (pen or pocket).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being a flashlight junkie, I already have the Tec Blast as well as a couple of Photon II's attached to it.

I don't have the UKE 2AAA yet. Hmmm...

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Craig on 01-05-2001 at 05:21 AM</font>

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that right away the 3P should fall off the list. The E1 has all the advantages.

The E1 is the best little flashlight I own. However, at ~$50, it's also very expensive. To go cheaper, I also recommend looking at those little 2-AAA side-by-side lights. You can get these things for around $6-$7, so they're an order of magnitude cheaper than the E1, although the E1 is brighter. The Princeton Tec Blast puts out marginally more light than the UKE 2AAA. The advantages I could think of for the UKE 2AAA over the blast are that I believe the UKE might be waterproof, plus it's smaller -- so small it will fit in the smallest watch pockets, whereas the bigger lamps on the Blast preclude that.

All that said, I tend to be reaching more for the Blast than the UKE 2AAA these days, and for the E1 much more than all of 'em.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge on 01-05-2001 at 09:51 AM</font>

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
I don't know...

I just got a couple of E1s, the nice gun metal ones, and I kinda like my 3P! My 3P is noticeably brighter, with a more focused beam.
And it fits in my hand better, the E1 is actually a little small when I hold it "fist" style to push the button with my thumb. The 3P fills my hand better and I can push the button easier therefore. And I'm used to black metal flashlights by now. :)

I'm sure the E1 will grow on me, I'm going to try find excuses to carry it, especially since I bought some batteries cheap (some poor fool at an alarm/electronics wholesale house sold them under the wrong part number! "Uh, hold on, if they're that cheap I'd like to buy a few more!! :)". I'm hoping the extra run time will make up for the reduced brightness, I often end up carrying a Pelican AA light of one kind or another, instead of a SureFire, due to the typical SF's minimal runtime, which doesn't bother me for "living room inspections", but does for longer excursions.

The E1 is nice, but the 3P isn't bad either!

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by ThomasH on 01-05-2001 at 10:33 PM</font>

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's the opposite to what I observed...

Anyho, one of my P60 Lamp Module has a more oval beam than the rest. Whilst they are all pretty much the same brightness, I think this one is a little bit whiter.

My point?
Well I suppose there is a bit of variation. I've never come across a bad or poor Lamp Module. The E1 MN01 is not as white as the M2 P60, but loads whiter than any of my other non-SureFire flashlights (Pelicans)

I also find the E1 a bit small for my hand sometimes. This means you can't usually see the E1 when I'm shining it so most people can't figure out where the light beam is coming from. This is fun - Especially in nightclubs as the beam is small and tightly focused so I can strobe it at people from a distance...(sad I know, but I can't help myself sometimes!)

On a side note, I was "searched" as I entered the club, but they didn't even ask to see the M2 in my pocket (I don't carry it in my trouser pocket usually - I forgot to leave it in the car). This scares me as I could take sharps or such in no trouble. Usually all I get is a "Switch off ya phone mate." Laser pointers are a big no-no as you'll get thrown out.

The E1 is small enough to carry anywhere. It can pass as a lighter even. The 3P felt too bulky...