Repair or Replace?

LED User

Newly Enlightened
I have an older ITP SA1 Eluma, single AA flashlight that worked one moment, and a moment later when I tried to turn it on again, it didn't.
I don't remember its cost new or really what a repair cost would be?
Should I consider a repair, or just pitch it out and replace it?
I know virtually zip about working on flashlights.

LED User

Newly Enlightened
I didn't follow "sliding the battery tube on a piece of paper", but I have cleaned up a tube from corrosion on a Fenix.
I'm guessing by the symptom of not turning on from one moment to the next that its either the switch or emitter since there is no corrosion?

LRJ88

Enlightened
I didn't follow "sliding the battery tube on a piece of paper", but I have cleaned up a tube from corrosion on a Fenix.
I'm guessing by the symptom of not turning on from one moment to the next that its either the switch or emitter since there is no corrosion?
Could well be the switch, or debris in other places keeping the flashlight from making full contact. If possible, try taking off the tailcap and bridging the battery and rim of the tail part with a paper clip or something similar, if it turns on or reacts by then it might just be the switch or even retaining rings etc. coming loose and needing a little tightening.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I do my utmost to not participate in the throw away economy 😕
I do too. But sometimes you have to consider your own economy.

Cost to repair a cheap hatchback with blown engine ~ $4K.
Cost to get a used one, same model, similar mileage ~ $2.5K.

Makes no sense to literally throw away $1.5K.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your point is valid unless you have the means and skillset to swap out the engine with a low mileage/reco unit... sometimes it's better the devil you know 🤣