How well does a KL4 work on an E1 body?

SCblur

Enlightened
I have an E1L and an E2e, and am shopping for a KL4 head to round out the collection. Assuming I can find a KL4 head that works with the E1 body, what kind of regulated runtime and level of brightness can I expect from a 1-celled KL4 using SF primaries. If there's a better option for batteries, I'm open to it, but I definitely don't want to use unprotected. I don't know a lot about batteries, so the unprotected scare me. I am hoping I can get a 1-cell KL4 to put out full brightness for about 20 minutes. Is this possible?

Thanks guys
SCblur

cy

Flashaholic
it works like a dream, I've got a mint KL4 head available that bright and white! Wbin brightness +

Please PM if interested..

edit: SOLD...

Last edited:

nirad

Enlightened
20 mins is very possible. I use an unprotected RCR123 cell with mine. I recharge cell as soon as I see reduced output. I have never really done a runtime test. It is quite a small and very bright package.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL4/E1 on left [edited: not really - its an E1e incan]; QIII on right.

cheers

av0007a.jpg

Last edited:

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use a regular CR123 then it really depends on the Vf of the luxeon. An R123 should get you at least 25 min.

rikvee

Enlightened
I've used these two for a year and a half:
Image021.jpg

Protected R123's shut down the light after 20 min or so, but when unprotected R123's start to dim, they give you some minutes time to find your spare in the dark!

I go through at least a dozen charges a week on these, and so far I've only lost one ($4) battery due to leaving the light on too long (came on inside a case).

Of course there is a lock out function on this light, and with the amazing output and overall build quality, this is among the Rolls Royce of EDC lights.

It does get very hot, but so do all KL4 heads.

roguesw

Enlightened
rickvee
what material have you got protecting your KL4+E1E body? is that heat shrink wrap ?
looks great
what have you got labelled on your flashlights ?
cheers mate
Des

rikvee

Enlightened
Hi Des :wave:
The bezel edges of my TW-4's are made more user-friendly by F04 beamshapers, and the colored PVC tape has a date and my name, there are 4 layers, so I can hold the light between my teeth.... :p

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur said:
Iwhat kind of regulated runtime and level of brightness can I expect from a 1-celled KL4 using SF primaries.
You'll get exactly 0 minutes of regulated runtime on SF primaries. It will run, but it will never be in regulation/full brightness.
I've gotten ~30 minutes with a protected 750mAh R123 with a KL4 that came on a TW4(these were handpicked for low Vf), but don't expect more than the 20 minutes these other folks are getting.