Urgent 50mW Green Laser Info

tobjectpascal

Banned
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Extreme-Green-Laser-Pointer-50mW-630-680nm-50-mW_W0QQitemZ9720176183QQcategoryZ14954QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pictures taken from the ebay page below, my question is this, it states it's a 630nm - 680nm, how come it's still green, i thought hight the nm the color changes from green to red, or go the other way, to blue, depending on the nm the pretty colors you get...

but this thing is cheap, 50mW laser is going for just $107 where as wicked and most other sellers sell a 55mW laser for around $210 dollars, so what is this laser, is it as good as it claims? and why have i never seen one before lol if it's any good, it's :sold:

Laser.4.JPG

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Looks fishy to me. It doesn't even show the laser actually emitting a beam, let alone a green beam. Their feedback looks good though. I wouldn't be surprised if they were selling a red 50mw laser for that price since that case looks sexy. Plus you get the tactical stuff like the rings and the auxiliary on switch.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I bought that light for a weapons light. It is not the 55 mW version, but said it was 20 mW or so. I am dubious, but have no way to measure it. The quality isn't that great, and the laser gets brighter (a bit) the longer you hold the switch down. I'd look elsewhere on Ebay. There are a couple of guys in Hong Kong that sell decent ones, but none of them appear to be close to the high power rating listed in the bid.

BTW, I think I paid about $50 to $60 for the one I ordered. To play around with it for airsoft is ok, but with the quality being what it is, I don't think I'll be strapping it to a M4 SOPMOD anytime soon. I hope this helps,

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
RadarGreg said:
BTW, I think I paid about $50 to $60 for the one I ordered. To play around with it for airsoft is ok, but with the quality being what it is, I don't think I'll be strapping it to a M4 SOPMOD anytime soon. I hope this helps,

In real life we DO NOT strap greel lasers to our guns, you can see the beam looking toward the laser better than looking down the beam not to mention we operate in covert night time environments and use IR lasers.

As for the laser itself - use a IR lab grade filter and get someone to measure the 532 itself, IR leaks and will give a false reading.

I was the owner operator of nerdtoy.com and the first to mod a pointer - I go WAY back with lasers and also LE.

I have looked at them on occasion, they are good for playing but be warned, you hit someone say a teammate in the eye with a 50mW and there is a good chance of retinal damage/destruction or corneal burns. Use a 5MW or make sure at distance its 5mW square Cm.

Better idea, get an EoTec..
See the one I have on my weapon http://www.realnola.com/aboutus.html
Wife carries the same exact weapon, an M4.

Kevin Nardelle

Last edited:

RadarGreg

Enlightened
In real life, some people DO strap green lasers to their guns. Guys like soldiers on traffic control points in Baghdad who are trying to keep drivers from speeding toward their positions. It is amazing to see how quickly a driver will slow down and act in a more responsible manner with a laser he can see pointed at him. The driver doesn't know if it is only a green laser pointer, or a weapon mounted laser. It would be pretty pointless to point an IR laser at someone in that circumstance, don't you agree?

Since I own essentially the same laser as tobjectpascal mentioned in his post, and he didn't mention his specific use for the laser, I felt it would be helpful to let him know the build quality. As I stated before, it would probably be ok for an airsoft game where the player isn't going to beat it up too much (the plastic gun would probably break before the laser). For a combat deployment, where the soldier is going to be bouncing around inside a humvee or on a guard point, it probably won't hold up well.

Interesting website, Kevin.