Anyone have problems with Universal Smart Charger?

zehnmm

Enlightened
I have a Universal Smart Charger that is supposed to handle 12v-16.8V for battery packs. I have been trying to use it to charge 12 batteries in FM's 12aa-3d adapter in one of his bored 3D bodies.

At first it seems ok, but, basically it is not charging the 12 batteries in the holder. When I use my DMM, I get some readings both on the holder and on the leads from the charger. However, at the end of it all it is not charging the batteries beyond 1.2V each, with not all that much mah's.

Have been using a Maha 4-cell charger to charge the cells and put them in the holder.

Has anyone else had issues with this charger? Do you have some suggestions for what I should try before I contact the vendor and send it back? Should I consider another option such as a Triton+12V power supply?

Thanks!!

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
zehnmm said:
I have a Universal Smart Charger that is supposed to handle 12v-16.8V for battery packs. I have been trying to use it to charge 12 batteries in FM's 12aa-3d adapter in one of his bored 3D bodies.

At first it seems ok, but, basically it is not charging the 12 batteries in the holder. When I use my DMM, I get some readings both on the holder and on the leads from the charger. However, at the end of it all it is not charging the batteries beyond 1.2V each, with not all that much mah's.

Have been using a Maha 4-cell charger to charge the cells and put them in the holder.

Has anyone else had issues with this charger? Do you have some suggestions for what I should try before I contact the vendor and send it back? Should I consider another option such as a Triton+12V power supply?

Thanks!!
I know nothing about that holder or how it's made but I've run into from time to time with coil spring type contacts. The Schulze 330d manual suggests against using them and to clamp the cells. Using a DMM you can check a contact point by performing a voltage drop if physically possibel by placing your DMM in volts scale and checking across/around the contact point. You should read zero volts or no lose through the connection. This maybe impossible to do at times. Some chargers are very touchy when it comes to connections and lead wire size.

zehnmm

Enlightened
sptski: Thanks for taking your time to share info with me.

The Fivemega 12aa-3d holder does not use springs and, in my opinion, is pretty terrific. When my hot-driver from AWR arrives, I plan to run a 50W Osram bulb. Should be a scorcher. But I need to get a charger that works ok on my 12AA setup.

FYI, I have a modamag 6aa-2d holder (has springs) which I am using in my ROP setup in a 2D body. For this setup, I charge the batteries (4 batteries at a time) in a fairly old Maha charger that I got for a digital camera. That works ok, but, it does take some time.

I have been running my ROP with the two Pelican bulbs, a 7.2V WA1274, 6.0V WA1111, a 7.2V Carley 1499, and an 6V Osram 64275. Fivemega's high-temp socket is great for this. I have had a lot of fun playing with these different bulbs.

Best regards,

Steve

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 4.8V 2Ah pack with a very small Molex connector. At first I used small sewing pins and leads with clips with my Schulze charger. In AutoC cycle the highest amperage I'd see was about 600ma. I finally found a male connector and used #12AWG wire. On a empty pack, I see over 2A at the start of the cycle. Connections are everything! :D

A Triton will do 12 cells!