Atlasnova astronomy pointers

Entity

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what their output power is? It doesn't say but i assume it is more than 5mWs. Does it have greater potential for pot moding?

Athoul

Enlightened
I think they are as close to 5mW as possible withouth going over. Something like 4.9mW I believe.

Entity

Newly Enlightened
Does this mean that the 5mW poinnters they sell are not really 5mWs? Someone at greenlaserforums thought that the astronomy pointers were 10-15mWs.

Athoul

Enlightened
If you look at the site, it says it is class 3A, this would mean they would have to be <5mW.

nero_design

Enlightened
I think Atlasnova supply a 5mW which is generally no problem (fairly/relatively safe) to use in most places as it's not a 3B laser.

He used to (and probably still does) supply higher powered custom tweaked lasers which (if they're between 10mW and 40mW) are absolutely ideal for starpointing since 5mW is usually only properly visible to others (other than the person holding the laser) in country areas away from city lights. You'll need to contact him directly for details though. He's fairly well regarded by his customers and I can't say I've heard any negative comments about his product.

Entity

Newly Enlightened
I am under 18. I sent him (Arnold) a long message about how I know how dangerous they are and how I am planning on buying goggles. I explained how I have been researching this for months. I told him my interests are scientific and I also asked him alot of questions about his 5mW green pointers. My pm to him was 4 paragraphs long and he wrote back "sorry but no, and good luck." I understand where he is coming from but I wanted a longer answer. Maybee why he thought he should not sell me one. If he feels I can't comprehend the dangers of these lasers he could have spent the time to inform me about what he thought I don't know. I pmed him again and he won't write back. I still respect him but he should value me as a future customer because guess what? I won't be 16 forever! I'm not sure if he would even sell me a 5mW but that is quite ridiculous. I already have one and i am about to buy a Nexus from wicked lasers.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps you have an older "mentor" who could obtain one for you. And I would suggest that mentor give him a phone call so Arnold can feel him out, that would be much more effective than an email.

You really can't blame Arnold for being exceedingly careful about who he sells astronomy pointers to.

abeland1

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
Perhaps you have an older "mentor" who could obtain one for you. And I would suggest that mentor give him a phone call so Arnold can feel him out, that would be much more effective than an email.

You really can't blame Arnold for being exceedingly careful about who he sells astronomy pointers to.
Thank you.

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
I don't really like the message AtlasNova sends on these lasers. Technically, they're illegal. By selling them for pricing/marketing purposes and deciding who does and does not have the right to buy, they are not only breaking the law, they act like they are the law.

dr_lava

Enlightened
Actually, they are doing a good thing. A few of the lasers that come from overseas, although they all should be 5mW, are over. Atlas just takes those out of the normal stream and makes sure responsible people get them.
People who complain are usually the ones who aren't responsible. BTW, any salesman or vendor has the right not to sell to anyone for any reason.

If one is careful, they can mod any leadlight to the powers described here, so there is no big deal.

Pixel

Newly Enlightened
I also think Arnold is doing a better job than FDA approved safety features.
If I was a seller I wouldn't want to feel guilty about a damaged vision of a child. No FDA regulations can ensure that and make me sleep better.

Entity

Newly Enlightened
I just wish arnold would directly adress me. I don't want to argue with you arnold and ultimately what you say goes.

What kinds of things are you looking for in a responsible laser owner? After I turn 18 would you sell me one?

By the way I have reffered alot of people to you.

nero_design

Enlightened
Entity said:
After I turn 18 would you sell me one?

I'm twice your age and he wasn't really comfortable with my enquieries a while back ...and I work in the VFX industry with no restrictions on purchase or imports.
I think you might want to let it go for the time being or try your hand elsewhere with the assistance of an VISA card toting adult as many sellers seem to require proof of age these days. It's partially a legal consideration but it's also bad for business for people to sell to customers under 18 (minors) in relation to Class 3 or even Class 4 lasers. Don't sweat it and try not to take it personally.