Zetex 2AA Luxeon MiniMag Mod

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date

remuen

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duggg:
Mercator graciously offered to host and set up a web page describing the Zetex/LS MiniMag mod I mentioned in a couple of other threads.

The URL is http://www.5thcolumn.org/zetex/project
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duggg, all what I can say:
A great mod!
And a great page!
And a great describtion!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
wonderful, just wonderful. gives me great ideas and simple too. one question, could this circut be modified to work with other battery combinations also?

JollyRoger

Enlightened
This mod is excellent, I must say! I would buy one in an instant if you were willing to sell it. I'd make it myself...only thing is I'm not too good with the circuit parts...

Questions: since the ls is being driven fairly hard, is the heatsinking good enough?

Also, does this design allow the "swapping" of the ls with the newer (twice as bright) version due out later this year?

Please let me know if you're willing to make some of these...I'll probably be willing to buy two or three...or more?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent mod! Lots of hard work resulted in a final product to be proud of. Now all you have to do is find a production shop to make the circuits for you in quantity and you can start assembling/selling them!
shocked.gif

Just as a reminder, if anyone has mods that they need hosted, my site is available as well. This particular mod would have been a bit large for my standard format, which wouldn't have done it justice, so I'm glad you were able to find a good hosting solution.

Edit: DUGGG, would you mind if I put a link on my Mods page to your mod page - just to give it as an option for those looking at the mods there?

MY

Enlightened
I want to thank all those who were involved with the project. As I am illiterate in the ways of electrons, it was very informative to read how and why things were done with this mod. It is great that the knowledge and ideas that you folks have are freely given to people like me. Again thanks for taking the time to enlighten all of us.

P.S. Can I buy one of those mods?

smile.gif
grin.gif

Luff

Enlightened
Duggg, Mercator & MrAl:

After reading all 472 posts on the original Zetex thread since October and following the hard work and dedication you've put into this project, I admit to being in awe of your generosity in sharing the final designs (even though you said all along you would).

The circuits I built last summer with early production ZXSC300s from England were terribly inefficient. So much so that I got frustrated and gave up. I've learned much from the focused work you've shared with us each day.

It's time to pull out the chips and get busy.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Mark

jeff1500

Enlightened
Really great work. Technical content A+. Group cooperation A+.

When does the movie come out?

Mercator

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
DUGGG, would you mind if I put a link on my Mods page to your mod page - just to give it as an option for those looking at the mods there? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assembled and I'm hosting the Zetex webpage
Please feel free to link this page from your site.

I just made some additions and will continue to do so as the need arises.

-Mercator-

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mercator - Thank you. Sorry, I did not know who was the official "owner" of the page. I'll have the link added soon. Thanks!

EDIT: Done!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duggg:
Mercator graciously offered to host and set up a web page describing the Zetex/LS MiniMag mod I mentioned in a couple of other threads.

The URL is http://www.5thcolumn.org/zetex/project
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, way too cool! Done done done! Yes! Fantastic!! Now we can all make our own. Most certainly we should make some and sell them (cheap) to fellow CPFer's who cannot for whatever reason make their own.

Great job Duggg, Papasan, MrAl, and whoever else participated. Can we get a list of those who contributed to this project? It it hasn't already been done?

Wayne www.ElektroLumens.com
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for all the praise. Hope to see some good mods out there!

Regarding making and selling completed units, some adjustment of the Rsense resistor is required by the user, due to LS variations and the choice of battery chemistry. Proper adjustment requires accurate tools and intricate soldering.

So there's no good way to pre-make the module and then have you connect your own LS and batteries. Even if we supplied the LS (now difficult to obtain), there's still the battery issue---if we set it up for typical NiMH's, and you use alkalines instead, you could burn out your LS.

For that reason, we're generally not interested in selling completed units. However, anyone else is free to use our designs and sell units to others, assuming these issues are properly addressed.

That said, we will have about 15 extra 13x13mm PC boards available, for those who can do the soldering. More info on that, after we work out some details.

Now, to answer some specific questions:

Could this circut be modified to work with other battery combinations?

With a single NiMH cell, it can only provide about 200mA to the LS. Alkalines don't do as well as NiMH's, due to the high input current demanded by the converter. The published circuit is not designed to work with three or more cells, as it's a "boost converter"---the input voltage is lower than the output voltage.

Is the heatsinking good enough?

That's a really good question. Careful filing and use of heatsink compound should provide excellent heat conduction to the case, which I found warms to about 15°C above ambient.

But the sealed nature of the MiniMag provides zero convective cooling on the interior, so the 60°C figure mentioned on another thread is not out of the question. Measuring the actual board temperature while the unit is sealed and operating is, as you can imagine, quite a challenge.

Does this design allow the "swapping" of the ls with the newer (twice as bright) version?

If the new LS has similar power requirements, then I don't see why not. Even better, if it's able to provide the same brightness at half the power, then that goes a long way toward addressing the excess heat issue.

However, if the new LS requires twice the power, then it's doubtful the circuit can provide it, and even more doubtful the excess heat can be sufficiently dissipated by the MiniMag (or most flashlights) without significant case modification.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
...That said, we will have about 15 extra 13x13mm PC boards available, for those who can do the soldering. More info on that, after we work out some details.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be VERY interested in 1 or 2 of those, please post or email me when you are ready to sell these since this is the only thing I can't make/do myself. (don't have the materials)

remuen

Enlightened
That said, we will have about 15 extra 13x13mm PC boards available, for those who can do the soldering. More info on that, after we work out some details.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Duggg
I'm also interested to get 1 or preferable 2 of those boards because I didn't make my own boards up to now (I use some special laborotry boards for prototyping).

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duggg,
René,

I´m also highly interested to get one board - possibly (if René agrees) just sent to René too to save you some troubles (René and I don´t live too far away and possibly some CPF meeting in the alps would be nice ;-) ?

Great work guys

Klaus

RobertN

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
I have been spying on this forum for almost a year. I would like to thank this topic for making me register.

Duggg if you have any spare boards I would be interested in 3 or maybe even more.
Please email me.

Thanks and Great work!