Glo-toob, Which color?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Langamer817 said:
Which color is Brightest? Or best.

I don't think any of them is the best, but Green is considered the brightest because the human eye sees green above other colors at night. Red is nice if you are trying to preserve night vision, but if you want the most visable one, pick green.

Langamer817

Newly Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
I don't think any of them is the best, but Green is considered the brightest because the human eye sees green above other colors at night. Red is nice if you are trying to preserve night vision, but if you want the most visable one, pick green.

How does blue compare to green? Thanks!

AJMAUDIO

Newly Enlightened
is a red one bright enough for a good tent light or room light in an outage?

veleno

Enlightened
AJMAUDIO said:
is a red one bright enough for a good tent light or room light in an outage?

For me, Glo-toob is good only as marker. It doesn't make enough diffuse light for any other purpose.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
TMK, the newer glo-toob to be released soon will run off a CR123a and use newer, brighter LEDs. :)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of a Glo Toob as a battery powered chem light. Might be enough to read by (don't know, never used one) if it's next to what you're reading, but it's no lantern.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The amount of light from the led's in a Glo-toob is meant for marker use, but if my eyes are fully night adapted, the green one I have sheds enough light to read by if I hold it close to the material. There are better tent lights than a Glo-toob or a Krill, but they aren't really meant for that use.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
AJMAUDIO said:
really interested in the cr123 version..any word on its arrival?

Here's an email I received today from Glo-toob: :)

Your information is correct! - We are indeed launching the new LITHIUM toob, it will be bigger, better, brighter and longer lasting... and cooler!!

We will release this product around August - tentatively....

Thanks for your contact....if you have any other questions, please let us know....

Regards

The Glo-toob Guys

kq2h

Newly Enlightened
Hi Langamer, I have the original Glo Toobs that run on the 12 V alkaline battery. To me, WHITE and RED are the brightest. BLUE and GREEN are in 2nd place with AMBER a very close 3rd. My red one has 6 LED's, the amber has 5 LED's, all the others have 3 LED's. I don't have any Infra-red ones so I don't know how many LED's they have. For what they are, they are pretty bright. The white one is like a miniature lantern... and has been useful. I would get the lithium ones when they become available..... Alex

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I too have all the colors, not that I'm a flashaholic or anything, but white is the brightest and best for a tent light. The green is pretty bright too and I think is advertized by Glotoob to be the brightest or most noticeable. I think the blue,amber, and red would follow.
I was unaware that a new version would be coming out.
Looks like I may have sell of some of my FX's in the near future :sssh:

tygger

Enlightened
i have green and white and use them regularly. green looks brighter to me. i find the best use for the current glowtoobs is as a strobe marker light. batteries last pretty long in that mode. can't wait for the lithium versions. definitely better than those small 12v batteries.

kq2h

Newly Enlightened
Lithium Battieries and Glo Toobs

After reading about 123 and other lithium battery explosions...... I'm getting cold feet about a lithium powered glo toob.... even if glo toob current consumption is very low, I'd hate to have one blow up...

gorn

Enlightened
Re: Lithium Battieries and Glo Toobs

kq2h said:
After reading about 123 and other lithium battery explosions...... I'm getting cold feet about a lithium powered glo toob.... even if glo toob current consumption is very low, I'd hate to have one blow up...

My understanding of the 123 blow-ups is that it happens in multi-cell lights. I would hope the new glo toob is only a 1 cell.