ROP may have saved us...

Rando

Enlightened
I went camping this weekend with the wife and some friends. Late the second night, we were sitting around the fire when we heard some sounds coming from the brush behind the campsite. I had a 3 watt Luxeon Dorcy in my pocket so I turned around and shined it around the area. We all saw a set of yellow eyes reflecting back at us in the brush around 50 feet out. I had my friend bring over the 2D ROP that was sitting nearby and lit up the entire forest for about 120 degrees. A bobcat ran out of the brush and into the woods. A park ranger told us the next morning that sometimes they come into the campgrounds and kill racoons, which in turn are drawn by campers' trash and unsecured food.

I don't think the bobcat would have hurt us, and we didn't see it any more that night (although we did see *several* racoons, even though all food and trash was locked up in one of the trucks).

The moral of the story: Keep the food and trash contained, and always bring some portable daylight.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woohooo.... great to hear another ROP story :D the raccoons must have been thanking you that night for chasing away a predator so they could rule the roost.. even for just one night! ;)