questions about 3d mag luxeon conversion

Spork

Enlightened
I'm doing a 3d mag luxeon mod and I have a few questions. I bought the luxeons with optics from arc. My idea is to mount the ls on a aluminum disc and fit it on the ledge in the head of the light (right behind the lens). will i still get a nice beam without the reflector? isn't that what the optics are for? it will sit quite close to the lens. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible since I'm not that great at building things...yet. I plan to use a nice coat of artic silver 3 and mount the ls firmly to the disc for good heat transfer.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrchri5,

You have the basics correct. I would suggest one thing. On the mods I did, after breaking the bulb and removing all the glass I soldered the two wires. Now re-install with the lamp holder and screw that down tight.

You will now notice the wires are the topmost exposed part and the spring loaded center section protrudes past the opening.

Pushing the aluminum plate down will squish the two wires. I added a little spacer between the two wires so that the aluminum plate pushes against the little spacer.

This may not make sense and I may not have written this very clear, but, take a look at it and see if this makes sense.

Also, for better heat transfer use a wire wheel on the dremel or something like that to remove the paint on the inside of the barrel where the aluminum plate makes contact and use thermal grease or thermal epoxy when you insert the aluminum plate. This will ensure the heat is transfered to the body of the mag light and makes a huge heat sink.

Optimally to get the LED at the focal point requires finding the focal point of the reflector.

You can use almost any object such as a ball point pen. Hold the reflector so you are looking into it and from the backside insert the ball point pen or object thru the backside. Now look moving the ballpoint pen forward/backward till the whole reflector shows the ballpoint tip. Note where this is since it is the focal point and cut the reflector back so that the LS when pressed into the refector is sitting at this focal point. I believe this to be the correct alignment procedure for getting the LS at the focal point of the reflector. I'm not an optics person so if I'm wrong then someone can correct me.

Spork

Enlightened
well I plan on leaving the reflector out for simplicitiy. What exactly do you mean by a spacer to hold the socket down? wouldnt the wires just be squished by the spacer then? Does lambda leave the rubber tire in permanently to hold it down? if i could just take that stupid spring out.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
well I plan on leaving the reflector out for simplicitiy. What exactly do you mean by a spacer to hold the socket down? wouldnt the wires just be squished by the spacer then? Does lambda leave the rubber tire in permanently to hold it down? if i could just take that stupid spring out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just cut a slot across the top diameter of the bulb socket post so the wires can feed out the slot without getting mashed.........

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
If I can add a silly question or so. I seem to remember a heat sink epoxy being mentioned would it be possible to use that w/o the heat sink plate? This would be w/ 1 or 2 ohms resistance. A quick look at Radio Shack, didn't see any resistors smaller than 33, did I miss them? Is there a source for all the supplies needed--heatsink, paste, or HS epoxy, Luxeon Stars and resistors. I have a couple 2D maglites that have been sitting unused for a couple years.

A couple off topic questions What is the airspeed of the African sparrow and what is your favorite color?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by witsend:
A couple off topic questions What is the airspeed of the African sparrow and what is your favorite color?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Favorite color, probably violet.
Airspeed of the sparrow, don't know. Maybe 35-45MPH. A website about ornithology will probably have a more accurate answer. Try searching for "sparrows africa" or "native birds of africa" on google.com and I bet you'll find something.

Resistors can be paralled to increase power dissipation and decrease resistance. For example, three 33 ohm 1 watt resistors put in parallel will give you a 11 ohm 3 watt resistor.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by witsend:
[QB]If I can add a silly question or so. I seem to remember a heat sink epoxy being mentioned would it be possible to use that w/o the heat sink plate? This would be w/ 1 or 2 ohms resistance. A quick look at Radio Shack, didn't see any resistors smaller than 33, did I miss them? Is there a source for all the supplies needed--heatsink, paste, or HS epoxy, Luxeon Stars and resistors. I have a couple 2D maglites that have been sitting unused for a couple years.

QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, if you find that magical epoxy, please let me know. Until then, you can find complete construction details on my old mod page at http://lambda10.tripod.com/ for reworking MagLites into Luxeon lights.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Favorite color, probably violet.
Airspeed of the sparrow, don't know. Maybe 35-45MPH. A website about ornithology will probably have a more accurate answer. Try searching for "sparrows africa" or "native birds of africa" on google.com and I bet you'll find something.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we sure are going to miss Craig- He has no doubt been thrown off the bridge and falling down the bottomless chasm as I type this...

Ahh Craig- I can't believe a man of the world like you didn't pick up on this- This is a reference to one of the funniest movies of all time:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I may just have to send you out for "A SHRUBBERY!!!!" NI! NI!

Spork

Enlightened
I was looking at the radio shack website and they have some 1.1 ohm wirewound resistor rated for 5 watts. I'm going to see if my local store has them.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:

Ahh Craig- I can't believe a man of the world like you didn't pick up on this- This is a reference to one of the funniest movies of all time:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm, never saw it.
At least not any significant part of it. Not the part with the sparrow joke (?) anyway.
blush.gif
tongue.gif
blush.gif

No cable, and I can't rent videos.
frown.gif

But hey, I can buy as many resistors as I want!
grin.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Lambda both your's and Elektolumen's sites have been a big help to me even thinking about a mod. The work on the metal heat sink concerned me and I was wondering if I used resistors to lessen the heat output (and Light :O ) of the LS if I could get away with less efective heatsinking. Someone mixed Artic Silver w/ epoxy to make a somewhat effective solution. But I seem to remember someone saying (at CPF) that there was a heatsinking epoxy made.
I'm glad someone picked up on the MPython ref.

Spork

Enlightened
I was wondering if I used resistors to lessen the heat output (and Light :O ) of the LS if I could get away with less efective heatsinking. Someone mixed Artic Silver w/ epoxy to make a somewhat effective solution. But I seem to remember someone saying (at CPF) that there was a heatsinking epoxy made.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there is a arctic silver epoxy out now. how did you guys make your aluminum discs? I don't think I have the tools to complete this mod.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
YC, Graham -

ROTFLMAO! HAHAHAHAHA! Did you guys plan that or what!

As for the rest of you: NEE!

(sorry Craig, more M.Python references...
grin.gif
Somebody send him a tape!)

I tried mixing regular heat sink compound with 20 min epoxy and it seemed to work OK but not spectacular.....

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the rest of you: NEE!

You spelt it wrong. It`s Ni! Every true Pythonite knows that.... ni Ni NI!
tongue.gif

My most favoritist bit of my most favoritist fillum by the way. Now what does that say about my sanity?
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif