4D Maglite Conversion

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
they are sold on ebay, for 1,20 a piece or something but they come in a pack 90 something pieces, but you have no idea how many cycles they went thru, seller says they are removed from equipment that was not used, but there is no way to be sure

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
they are sold on ebay, for 1,20 a piece or something but they come in a pack 90 something pieces, but you have no idea how many cycles they went thru, seller says they are removed from equipment that was not used, but there is no way to be sure
Thanks I'll check it out. I've always wanted a few of the a123 systems cells

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I'd love to know where you're getting these for $.50 a piece. Didn't even know they were still being made
For some reason my comments on how to get them didn't come through. Maybe I'm not allowed to mention businesses. So just Google A123 26650 batteries used. Battery Hookup is one place. There was another. These are sweat equity packs you have to disassemble.
There is a Chinese company that makes them. Here is one way to get some. https://batteryhookup.com/products/...9&_sid=1adc82a5b&_ss=r&variant=31275963613316 my module held a hundred.
https://www.batteryclearinghouse.co...26659m1b-lifep04-3-3v-2500mah-in-10-emc-packs More options to get cells cheap. Some disassembly required. Found them. These cells are so durable buying used isn't much of a problem.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason my comments on how to get them didn't come through. Maybe I'm not allowed to mention businesses. So just Google A123 26650 batteries used. Battery Hookup is one place. There was another. These are sweat equity packs you have to disassemble.

https://www.batteryclearinghouse.co...26659m1b-lifep04-3-3v-2500mah-in-10-emc-packs More options to get cells cheap. Some disassembly required. Found them. These cells are so durable buying used isn't much of a problem.
The problem is I'm in Canada. So the normal channels don't work for me. Shipping gets ridiculous

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Of course not. And that would be a big downgrade. Besides, lifepo4 cells don't "need" protection circuits
Your charger protects up charge. Down charge don't worry. They are powerful. Capable of 200 amps. Good for power tools, but not for long if you are rebuilding packs...need battery management.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's be realistic here. Wtf am I going to do with 144 of these things. And with shipping it's $308 dollars. Shipping is $115. Like I said. Ridiculous shipping fees. I'd want maybe 6 of these. Not 144. I want to buy 6 at $2-$3 each and $7 shipping

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
Of course not. And that would be a big downgrade. Besides, lifepo4 cells don't "need" protection circuits
First time hearing about that, though admittedly I'm not especially familiar with the chemistry. Why not? There's no concern about damaging the cell with over-charge, over-discharge, over-temperature, etc? I understand over-current probably isn't a concern in most cases since the chemistry can often handle such high amperage just fine. I know it's a lot safer to work with than other chemistries, but is it really that resistant to going fwoosh or boom? Given the price I'd think it'd still be nice to have something to at least stop the cell from being ruined.

This is all considering a use case where you're just using the cells as-is and not building them into a battery pack, of course.

Let's be realistic here. Wtf am I going to do with 144 of these things.
Build an e-bike battery? :grin2:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
First time hearing about that, though admittedly I'm not especially familiar with the chemistry. Why not? There's no concern about damaging the cell with over-charge, over-discharge, over-temperature, etc? I understand over-current probably isn't a concern in most cases since the chemistry can often handle such high amperage just fine. I know it's a lot safer to work with than other chemistries, but is it really that resistant to going fwoosh or boom? Given the price I'd think it'd still be nice to have something to at least stop the cell from being ruined.

This is all considering a use case where you're just using the cells as-is and not building them into a battery pack, of course.

That's what I am doing. However you could cross the border and pickup from an Amazon or other Dropbox.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

So lifepo4 is VERY robust. Charging is supposed to terminate at 3.6 V. But you can charge it in a normal charger to 4.2, and it'll be fine. It will just immediately drop down to 3.35 V or so. Should only drain down to 2 V. But if you go past that it's fine just get it back on the charger when you can. That type of abuse will make the cell degrade a little bit faster, but it will never vent with flame. The electrolyte is not flammable, like it is with regular lithium ion. They are by far the best lithium based rechargeable cells. If it wasn't for the lower wh. So no, no need for a protection circuit. Think of it like nickel cadmium's non-toxic, lithium big brother.

4DMag-Lite

Newly Enlightened
So I ended up upgrading another 4D Incan I had laying around,

4D Blue Maglite as the Donor
Malkoff M91T Drop in
D cell 18650 adapters from Bino1973 on eBay
Weltool glass lens.

Attachments

• IMG_7392.jpeg
    IMG_7392.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7389.jpeg