Shipping from east coast USA to Hawaii?

Black Sheep

Newly Enlightened
I'll be shipping a laser I sold to Hawaii soon and wanted to know...are there customs between the US and Hawaii since it's overseas or is that only to different countries? Should I do anything special to make sure it gets to Hawaii without being screwed up in shipping (like, are there any dangers of crossing over the ocean into a different area, not like packagingwise)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ship or mail just like anywhere else in the US. I would use USPS Priority Mail (fast & cheap)

Black Sheep

Newly Enlightened
Should I ship it valued at it's real price ($80) or at a price to disguise it like wicked does when shipping? (The laser is a 55mW wicked which I messed up so I'm selling it for repair price cheap, so thats why the price is that)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black Sheep said:
Should I ship it valued at it's real price ($80) or at a price to disguise it like wicked does when shipping? (The laser is a 55mW wicked which I messed up so I'm selling it for repair price cheap, so thats why the price is that)

I would insure it at the price it cost to replace it. That way if something happens and it is lost or damaged, they will cover the price you insured it for. There is no need to disguise it, The post office does not know or care that it is a laser, all they care about is what it is worth and that it is not something that is prohibited.

Athoul

Enlightened
I'm not sure about the postal service there, but here basic insurance covers items up to $100 and costs about $7 for the weight of a pen style laser. Maybe you have some similar service there.

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
USPS insurance sucks. They don't pay 50% of the time - I know this from crap I bought and sold from eBay a long time ago.

Do Priority Mail or UPS (you have to do Air to HI though, which costs extra). UPS insures the first $100 automatically.

Morelite said:
I would insure it at the price it cost to replace it. That way if something happens and it is lost or damaged, they will cover the price you insured it for. There is no need to disguise it, The post office does not know or care that it is a laser, all they care about is what it is worth and that it is not something that is prohibited.

Over powered lasers are prohibited by federal law though.

Entity

Newly Enlightened
It's not even a working unit. Its in practically pieces. And only the sale of highpowered pointers is prohibited. You can make them, mod them and use them privately as long as you don't break any other laws.

Black Sheep

Newly Enlightened
Entity said:
It's not even a working unit. Its in practically pieces. And only the sale of highpowered pointers is prohibited. You can make them, mod them and use them privately as long as you don't break any other laws.

It IS a working unit, the only problem is the button is gone. It's not in pieces at all, all it needs is a button fix.

EDIT: Also, I printed a shipping label for priority mail which said only $4.05, but if it needs to be shipped differently how much more would it cost? Not a massive amount I hope. If you have experience please share.