My first Mag mod: 2D--> 3x123+6D Xenon...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the greatest, but it only took me 30-40min and will hold me untill I can get the body cut, bored for 3x123 side-by-side, and re-threaded. The battery holder is a piece of aluminum broomhandle with electrical tape inside and out to insulate it from the batteries and the body. I cut it just a little shorter than the batteries so the contact ends would stick out. I simply wrapped electrical tape around each end until I matched the diameter of a D-cell. I had to wrangle with the spring a bit to get it to make proper contact. Again, its not pretty, but it works and absolutely smokes the stock setup.

The parts:

The beamshot, not a great picture but it is very nice in person. I have a UCL-LDF lens in it to smooth out the beam but still produces a good tight hotspot.

Last edited:

litho123

Enlightened
It's a fun mod to start with...

Other drop-in bulb solutions...
- The 5-cell krypton bulb will be brighter than the 6 cell.
Some folks suggest the KPR112, but I find it to be quite prone to instaflashing.

For really bright performance
- Carley 1057p 6.0v 2.00a
- Carley Halogen 1499p 7.2v 1.84a

:naughty: Plus it's easy to upgrade into a rechargable light...
- fivemega 6AA-2D holder, nimh cells, charger ...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really. Thats very intersting. Do they burn out quick or instaflash? Is it noticeably brighter? If so how much? Flashlightking.com has them for $2 each plus $3.95 shipping. Sound like a good deal?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you get ready to upgrade that 2D, you can take the leftover pieces and put them into a 2C mag. The 2C is a good form factor for 3xCR123 and it still makes a good light, even if it is pretty basic compared to other more elaborate mods.

litho123

Enlightened
KDOG3 -

Our local Meijers has them for 3.99 a 2-pak plus sales tax where I'm at. You might want to check at the local TrueValue or Ace hardware store as well.

While their life is shortened, my dad has been getting about 3 sets of batteries use before they need replacement. My wife's light is on its second set of batteries.

If you can't find them locally, I'll be glad to pick some up for you and include them with the 1057p or H1499p that I know you're intrigued to try :naughty:

=====================
One other fun thing you can do is take the stock lens and apply a single layer of Scotch tape across it to "fuzz out" the artifacts. It will make your tightly focused beam look much more like a Surefire beam with a smooth hotspot.

Scotch transparent tape (green dispenser - for more "fuzz")
Scotch Magic tape (purple dispenser - for less "fuzz" - IMO just the right amount!!)
This works well with the 5-cell bulb. For long term use with the higher wattage bulbs, I don't recommend it as the heat will cause the sticky stuff to soften and the tape to eventually fall off.