U2 battery question...rechargeables? Please help!

chetwynd

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

As you can see by my earlier postings, I'm a total newbie and don't have any flashlights yet. I suppose looking back now, when I was about 16 (13 years ago), I LOVED my big maglite...had a little piece of 3/4" PVC taped onto the side with matches, etc in it...so I guess you could say I was showing signs of being into flashlights a long time ago. :)

ANYWAY, after doing a lot of researching on here, it looks like I'm going to go for the U2. The only other light that interests me is those HDS lights which I think are cool too.

So, one of the the many subjects that I thoroughly confused about is the batteries. What kind does the U2 take, and what kind of rechargeable options do I have? Pila? I guess I'm just overall confused :huh2: about batteries and rechargeable options and am hoping someone can post some links for me to the rechargeable options that are available. I'd probably buy a box of regular batteries for when I want maximum brightness and longevity (like, camping), but for everyday use I would probably stick with rechargeables.

Thanks in advance for the help. :rock:

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
all surefires except the rechargeable only models use cr123 batts ...as for rechargeable options see the above link, depending on why you picked the U-2 you might also consider the night ops GLADIUS, i have them both and consider the gladius superior in most ,but not all respects (my opinion)
chetwynd said:
Hi,

As you can see by my earlier postings, I'm a total newbie and don't have any flashlights yet. I suppose looking back now, when I was about 16 (13 years ago), I LOVED my big maglite...had a little piece of 3/4" PVC taped onto the side with matches, etc in it...so I guess you could say I was showing signs of being into flashlights a long time ago. :)

ANYWAY, after doing a lot of researching on here, it looks like I'm going to go for the U2. The only other light that interests me is those HDS lights which I think are cool too.

So, one of the the many subjects that I thoroughly confused about is the batteries. What kind does the U2 take, and what kind of rechargeable options do I have? Pila? I guess I'm just overall confused :huh2: about batteries and rechargeable options and am hoping someone can post some links for me to the rechargeable options that are available. I'd probably buy a box of regular batteries for when I want maximum brightness and longevity (like, camping), but for everyday use I would probably stick with rechargeables.

Thanks in advance for the help. :rock:

Last edited:

chetwynd

Newly Enlightened
I still don't really get it...

Ok, so the U2 takes two CR123s. Is the rechargeable equivalent of two CR123s one single 18650?

Looking at this thread, what exactly do I need?

Sorry for being a pain, but I really have NO idea what I'm doing and need specifics! :grin2:

Of course I want them to be protected, or safe, or whatever...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
One 18650 replaces two cr123s. The light's electronics compensate for the different voltages so it works just like normally. A high capacity (2400+ mAh) will give longer runtimes on the brightest setting than 2 cr123s. The 18650 has to be inserted in the head-end of the battery tube. You should buy 2 18650s (nice to have a spare) and a DSD charger. You can get this from Lighthound.com or AW in the dealers section. You can also get Pila batteries and chargers from jsburlys.com, you would use a 600p (a protected 18650).
Prices differ a bit, but these dealers all offer good quality batteries so any of these choices would be good.
Since you don't seem to know your way around Li-ions I would not recommend using unprotected 18650s although they are slightly cheaper.

If your U2 has a plastic insert inside the battery tube you have remove this to use 18650s, there are several threads on how to do this safely. If you don't want to remove the insert you can still use the slightly thinner 17670 Li-ions (or Pila 600s) that are sold in the same places as the fatter and higher capacity 18650.

There are several threads on the subject of Li-ions in the U2 so if this doesn't help try searching;)

Sverre

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
chetwynd said:
Ok, so the U2 takes two CR123s. Is the rechargeable equivalent of two CR123s one single 18650?
Yes, but here is the caviat: if your U2 has a plastic sleeve inside the body, you'll need to remove it for the 18650's to fit. Otherwise you'll need to use Pila 600s (slightly thinner than the Pila 600a - aka 18650). I strongly recommend you check out the li-ion safety sticky thread on the electronics and battery section before using li-ion.

chetwynd

Newly Enlightened
so are the CR123s and 18650s both Li-ion?

I don't want any kind of setup that I have to worry about safety with.

Tom M

Newly Enlightened
CR123's are lithium primary - use once and throw away

18650's are lithium-ion rechargable. (18mm in diameter, 65mm tall)

You may also see Lithum Ion recargables in the same form factor as a 123 - often called R123 or the like; these are _not_ what you want for our light.
The reason why - Rechargable lithium-ion yield 3.7-4.2V per cell, vs. 3.0 for lithium primary. Some lights can tolerate the extra voltage, some cannot, it depends on the circuit design and the particular LED used. You are very unlikely to damage electronics by supplying a lower than expected voltage - and some regulated lights can handle it just fine. This is why it is recommended to use an 18650 (3.6V) vs. two 123's (6.0V).

It really pays to do some research before going down any particular path.

Care must be taken with both lithium primary and lithium-ion rechargables. Lots of info can be found on this board.

Good luck!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
chetwynd said:
I don't want any kind of setup that I have to worry about safety with.

Protected Li-ions are safe unless abused very badly (punctured, burned and so on..) Any high energy battery can be hazardous if abused.
Any one of the dealers listed above will answer your questions and should be familiar with the U2.
Most people here use the 18650 and DSD charger for their U2s, some people prefer the Pilas and there used to be very good reasons for this. Now I think any protected 18650 from a reputable dealer will be just as good.

Li-ions lets you use your light as much as you want without worrying about cost or having a house full of half spent cr123s;)

Buy some and enjoy guild free lumens!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any problem with the length of the 18650 in the U2?

Also the ones I see for sale don't have a button top, is that a problem?

greenLED

Flashaholic
cave dave said:
Any problem with the length of the 18650 in the U2?

Also the ones I see for sale don't have a button top, is that a problem?

I PM'ed this to chetwynd, maybe it'll be of help to answer that question (and others):

greenLED said:
Before I answer your questions about the U2, allow me to ask you something: what do you want to use this new light for? Depending on your answer, the U2 may or may not be what you're looking for. It's a great "gadget" buy, but there are other options out there that may serve your purposes equally well for a fraction of the cost. I'm not trying to discourage you from a U2, but I wouldn't want you to jump on the bandwagon just for the "cool" factor and be disappointed later on. I've be glad to discuss other possibilities with you.

Back to the U2:

Rechargeable options are readily available. If you get your hands on an old-style U2, you can slip Pila 600a's rechargeable li-ions (formerly called 168A) in there (from the head) and use those without a problem. Pila 600a's are equivalent to no-name 18650 li-ions. If your U2 comes with the plastic insert inside the body, you can still use Pila 600a's (aka 17670 li-ion size, or the old Pila 168s) but you'll need to remove the insert first. Otherwise, you can just leave the plastic insert in and use Pila 600s (slightly thinner). Do not use 2xR123's; two of those in series can add up to 7.2 - 8.4V and will smoke your light. The use of li-ions is not covered by SF warranty, BTW.

Although you can use no-name li-ions, I recommend you use Pila batts for a couple of reasons:
  • they are protected against over- and underdischarge, as well as overcurrent and shorts
  • they are better made than any other li-ions out there
  • they have liability insurance if something were to go wrong
Yes, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. In addition, depending on where you get no-name brand li-ions, you might have to tweak your light a little to make things work. Usually, the (+) nipple on those cheap batteries is not raised enough so the spring on the U2's head doesn't make proper contact. What you can do, is to stretch the head's spring a *tiny* bit. Don't over-do it or you'll compress the battery and that may damage it.

Regardless of what people say, *do not* use a magnet to make up for the space. The magnet can shift under shock and you may have a dangerous situation
poof.gif
in your hands. This is especially true if you used unprotected cells (which, given your current situation, I'd *strongly discourage* you from using). Unprotected li-ions can (and will) vent explosively if are handled improperly.

Now, onto other issues:

You've probably heard about all the "issues" with the U2. I believe most of the kinks with the tailcap have been solved out of the factory (unless you buy older stock). If the tailcap fails, it's fairly easy for you to fix things yourself or call SF and they'll send you a new one in a couple of weeks.

The "donut hole" (dark circle in the middle of the beam) is a property of a LuxV focused for maximum throw. It's one of those things that bugs people, but it's something you have to live with when using a LuxV. The degree to which the donut hole is apparent seems to vary among lights. I don't know if this is a function of how the reflectors are tweaked, individual LuxV variations in die height, or individual perceptions of the users. I've had 3 U2's pass through my hands, and the donut hole has always been there; on "real world" conditions (as my primary bike light) the hole is nowhere to be seen.

People complain about tint... well, it's all personal preference. I dislike the X1 bin, and some people rave about it. You can always return the light to SF, but then you may get a worse tint or more prononunced donut hole.
confused.gif

One more thought: SF customer service is really great - send them whatever and they'll fix or replace it for you... it may take a long time, though, and that's a major source of complaints and frustration. I've come to peace with that fact.

...and if that wasn't long enough, here's a follow-up:

greenLED said:
...it sounds like you are looking for one of those do-it-all utility lights. The U2, even with all its quirks (which, admitedly, some we have to live with, others SF is fixing/fixed), fits the bill; it was designed as a utility light. I bought my U2 because of some of the same reasons you point out.

I also like bright lights, but I also appreciate the option of having lower output once in a while - whether it is for conserving battery power or because you just want to look for something in your pack at night. The U2 is on the verge of what I call a "small" light, but I can still carry it clipped inside a pocket and don't notice it.

The only other tactical clicky-type light with multiple stages that comes to mind is the Gladius. It has multiple "modes", and you can set different levels and preferences. I liked the interface and quality very much - simple and intuitive. For "utility" purposes, though... not so sure. First of all it was designed primarily for use with a gun, so you can't really carry it comfortably, you are stuck with the "strobe", and you can't really use rechargeables.

A couple of other options: L4 with a McGizmo 2-stage switch, or an A2 (I just bought one). Both have twisty-type switches, which I'm not so hot about, but it's the simplest way of getting 2 levels.

The advantage of the L4 over the U2 is it's size, but you lose all the multiple level options (you get 2 with the 2-stage switch). The A2 is unique because of the LED/incandescent combination; I find that very convenient as a surrogate for low/high and the incan beam is *bright*. The disadvantage is that rechargeable options are limited.

Speaking of rechargeables, unless you are a hard-core hot-wire or modder-type of dude, I'd recommend sticking to protected li-ion rechargeables. (I probably mentioned this before.)

OpticsHQ has the best prices on SF products and accessories right now. Go to the Dealer's section on CPF and check out my CPF Specials thread, there's a link there to OpticsHQ. Tell Mike I sent you, just for kicks. jsburlys is my recommendation for Pila batts - can't find lower prices and Jon is a great person to deal with.

Ha! I knew I was forgetting something: HDS...
thinking.gif
I've used their lights briefly and was impressed at their brightness and options, etc. Every time I see one, I want to buy it, but I walk away and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I think it's because I don't see the HDS as filling a niche in my pile of lights. If I had to say anything negative about them... I dislike their design lines
icon15.gif
and I think they're a tad too small for comfortable use (and I am not a *huge* guy by any means). Other than that, they're really sweet lights: you can use rechargeables, construction, design, and tech. support are all good, etc. It'd be a nice complement to a U2 if you want to have all the multi-level features and rechargeability in a smaller package (although the "features" remind me more of whay you find in the Gladius).

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice write up Green!
PMs are not going through today so I'll try later.

Basicly only one point I don't agree with you about Pilas: they are better made than any other li-ions out there-> Sanyo (or LGs) are usually preferred by pros using (unprotected) Li-ions in the hundreds. Pilas might be just as good or made for Pila by another large manufacturer (like Sanyo or LG).

The ideal cell for me would be a 2600 mAh Sanyo with Pila protection on it ;)

To sum it up: If you don't know what you're doing Pilas are the best out of the box solution for most users.
If you are going to use Li-ions read up on safety precautions and topics discussing different uses for different cells

greenLED

Flashaholic
I agree with you. There are other reliable "brand-name" batteries out there. All my warnings were referring to the no-name brands. I remember abdivledUK (I forget the right name, sorry), buying "protected" cells and discovering they weren't. For an informed user, that may not be a problem, but with so many people trying to use li-ions thinking they're direct drop-in replacements to other batts, a simple thing like that could cause a serious problem.

photorob

Enlightened
I recently just purchased a New body U2 and there is no plastic sleeve in the body. I have tryed to put a protected AW 18650 in the body and it does not fit. Has surefire changed the body so that rechargaebles cannot be used.

kromeke

Enlightened
As someone who has also recently used an 18650 (AW no less) cell in my U2:

Did you try to load it from the rear (tailcap)? It won't fit in from the rear, you have to load it from the front of the battery tube by unscrewing the head.

Mine didn't have the plastic insert. I really like the rechargable cell, it fits perfectly.

photorob

Enlightened
No luck loading it in from the front. :awman: It seems as if the body has been changed to not allow anything bigger then a cr123a.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure there isn't a sleeve inside the body. There is plenty of space for even the fattest 18650 in the U2s without the sleeve.

If you unscrew the bezel (front end) and look inside; is there bronze/gold coloured metal? I've never heard of a U2 without the plastic sleeve that couldn't use 18650s..

Could you measure the inside body diameter of your light at the bezel end? Mine is 19mm.

Sverre