BT2 Orange w/Toshiba LED's

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
BT2 Orange w/Toshiba LED\'s

I have finished a batch of BT1 torches: 2 blue, 2 green, one white and an orange BT2 (2 LED) The single LED models all had nichia LED's installed, and the BT2 had 2 Toshiba orange LED's which were leftovers from a previous mod. I was stunned by the torch's performance when I tested it in the dark countryside in Southern Lincolnshire. The beam is more "filament-torch" like than tthe Nichia's, the 2 beams converging to provide a very powerful spot-beam of orange light.
The beam picks out objects like speed limit and village name signboards at least 300m away!
Toshiba LEd's are good value for money at 79p each from Maplin Electronics. I also have some green Toshibs LED's which I intend o install in a torch...
They opersate at a voltage conducive to running ion 2 cells, so they might end up in a couple of modded torches... watch this space.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Re: BT2 Orange w/Toshiba LED\'s

Jack'O'Lantern
Maplin specify about the same for the orange LED's...
Your price in cents is cheaper than our 79p!
But they are way cheaper than Nichia's.The
Toshiba LED's appear to use GaAs LED technology even for green, as the forward voltage drop is only about 2.4V, so these LED's will run happily in a 2 cell torch with an appropriate resistor in series. The mcd values are at 50mA rather thann the usual 20 or 30, and the resistors in my BT2 are calibrated to produce a current of 50mA per LED.
Being as they run off 2 cells, the Toshiba series of LED's as found in Maplin catalogue could be used as conversions in all types of 2-cell torch including penlight-style torches.

Matt