Excell Help?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I have a report that I know can be fit so that I get two columns per page, how do I do it?

To further explain to avoid (or maybe cause) confusion there are 6 columns in the report, a stock #, 4 blanks and a description. Like below ******
001003/ / / / (1 BKLT) GUIDE TP SPICES
001009 DUTCH GEL RECIPES (25)
001010 BULK FOOD BROCHURES (25)
001011 BAKERY BROCHURES (25)
001045 1/BK A QUILTERS CHRISTMAS
007100 8/18CT SMALL DIAPERS
007103 8/30CT MEDIUM DIAPERS
007106 8/30CT LARGE DIAPERS
100100 25LB TABLE SALT (US SALT)
100300 50LB SEA SALT (FOOD GRADE)
100400 25LB REALSALT
116016 50LB DOMINO GRANULATED
There is enough room on a page for side by side printing and I'd be able to change a 20 page report to a 10 page. This is an inventory sheet that we fill out for our ordering.
I know this is doable but I can't figure it out or remember how. And I have been to online help :)
Thanks for any tips. :bow:

greenLED

Flashaholic
If I'm understanding your question correctly, what you want to do is part of your printer settings (at least it is on mine). Select Print|Properties... navigate the menus there to choose the option of printing "2 pages per page" (or something like that).

I hope that helps.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use change text to columns option in the data menu, select space as delimiter and remove the unused delimiters, hope it makes sense if not PM for email

AlexGT

Do you want something like this?

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Did the copy/paste portions of the columns onto the left for printing? I've done that to make things fit like you want them to.

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
file.... page setup... fit to 1 page(s) wide by BLANK pages tall.

i'd post a screenshot.. but i can't figure out how to do that.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excel is one L of a spreadsheet !!

Can you not just delete the blank columns ?

Last edited:

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I have the word-scale. I don't want to scale the printout. I want the program to make the 6 column per page report into 12 columns per page. (actually 13 if you count the space). The options I have tried squish the text down to not easy to use size. I even did a PDF output and manipulated the images. I need to be able to update the report somewhat easily.
Alex-Email on the way.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Wits' End said:
I want the program to make the 6 column per page report into 12 columns per page. (actually 13 if you count the space).
The way I've done this when creating forms is to manually move the second group of 6 columns to the right of the first gorup of columns.

It goes from something like this:
A B C _
A B C _
A B C _
A B C _

into something like this:

A B C _ A B C
A B C _ A B C
A B C _ A B C

Repeat for every page, being careful to not mess up the order of your cells (if they are sorted), then print (you may have to adjust the margins). Tedious, I know, but it's the only way I know.

Now I'm interested if there's an "off the shelf" way to do it. It can be a pain if you have 100 pages... :green:

Roy82

Newly Enlightened
I don't think excel as-is has an inbuilt system to wrap columns like that. It would be great if it did though. Always had to change it as greenLED has suggested.

Depending on how you have the sheet set up, the easiest may be to copy the contents to MS Word, select the created table, format || columns, set to how many you want.

Or, could try a third party program, like this one;
http://www.asap-utilities.com/

It says it can rearrange the columns, I just tried a crude test, seemed to work. ASAP Utilities || Format || "The paper saver"

I'm going to see what else this program can do, reading the User Guide...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Wits' End, After looking at the file I don't see a way to do it automatically, What you could do is copy the formatting of the columns to the right and manually move the data, basically what greenLed posted, I'm glad you managed to do text to columns, and I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

AlexGT

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wits' End said:
I have the word-scale. I don't want to scale the printout. I want the program to make the 6 column per page report into 12 columns per page. (actually 13 if you count the space). The options I have tried squish the text down to not easy to use size. I even did a PDF output and manipulated the images. I need to be able to update the report somewhat easily.
Alex-Email on the way.

Wit's End -- Your printout that you have & want to reproduce probably isn't actually from Excel.

It's probably from Word where you've pasted (or even better: linked) the Excel cells into a 2-column-per-page formatted Word document. That's the way to get the formatting to come out right with the 2 columns being the 6 Excel ones side-by-side. That way your columnar output will wrap from one column to the next when the rows get too many for the height of the page. You know what I mean?

Sorry if I'm saying exactly what you guys are suggesting above. I think this is a little different, though since it's automatic. Hit me if I'm saying the same thing.

If you don't know what I mean, then post & I'll elaborate.

Last edited:

changsn

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like the simplest way to do this is kinda what greenLed suggests:

If you count the total number of rows, copy/cut the last half and paste to the right of the first half - then print...kind of a pain to do this every time you print, but you probably don't have to print that often.
Sam

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
changsn said:
It sounds like the simplest way to do this is kinda what greenLed suggests:

If you count the total number of rows, copy/cut the last half and paste to the right of the first half - then print...kind of a pain to do this every time you print, but you probably don't have to print that often.
Sam

But if he were to create a Word document that's formatted in 2-columns per page and then he links in the Excel spreadsheet he doesn't have to count the rows. After reaching the bottom of the page in the left column Word will start the next rows in the right. That puts the 6 Excel columns in the left side Word column, and then wraps any more rows into the right. If he has more rows than will fit onto 1 whole page of 2 columns then it automatically flows onto page 2 the same way.

For example...
- In Word: File -> New
- Format -> Columns... -> Two (and set margins the way you want) -> OK
- Switch to Excel
- select all cells (6 columns, zillions of rows) then Edit -> Copy
- Switch back to Word
- Click Paste on the Formatting toolbar
(You'll see your data show up in the Word doc columns)
- Click the Paste Options tool thingy that shows up at the end of the pasted section in the document and then do one of the following:
To paste the data as a Word table, click "Match Destination Table Style" or "Keep Source Formatting"
To paste a link to the Excel data so that the data in the Word document is updated wheneever you change the data in the original Excel workbook, click "Match Destination Table Style and Link To Excel" or "Keep Source Formatting and Link to Excel".

You might also need to go to File -> Page Setup and change the page's margins to from the obnoxiously large 1.25" to something like .75 or smaller to get all your 6 columns to show up in each of Word's 2 columns, but you get the idea.

Do the above and you'll have the data automatically updated in your Word doc when you update it in Excel while keeping the 6-next-to-6 columnar format that Word lets you do. Wrapped rows & all.

No? :)

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need Binky! What I was trying to say is that we tought of the same solution to a given problem. :) :thumbsup:

Cheers
AlexGT