CMG Infinity Ultra? Did I get screwed?

Spordin

Enlightened
Will try to make this short. Thought I'd found a CMG IU. That's what the ad says (will keep the site name to myself for now). It came today, and both the package and the label on the light reads: CMG Infinity. Went back and looked at the pic in the ad, and sure enough, the label on the light in the pic also reads CMG Infinity. But the ad wording and order info clearly says: CMG Infinity Ultra.

So I just looked at other pics on the web, and the CMG versions of the IU all say "CMG Infinity Ultra" on the light itself. Did they maybe send me an older IU version that just says "Infinity," or did I get screwed on this? (Didn't cost much, so that's not a big deal, but again, the ad wording clearly reads they're selling a CMG Infinity Ultra.)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think you were shipped the wrong item, you should contact the merchant first.

If it's the merchant that I think it is, it probably won't make any difference since they tend to ship whatever they feel like shipping and won't bother to answer you anyways. It's amazing the level of abuse that internet geeks will tolerate for the cheapest price at any cost.

Spordin

Enlightened
Here's the site:

http://store.botachtactical.com/cmginultasli.html

Note how the ad reads "CMG Infinity Ultra Task Light," and that "The Infinity ULTRA Task is twice as bright as the original Task Light." Having never owned either an Infinity or Infinity Ultra, I didn't notice that the pic actually shows an Infinity (not an Ultra).

I ordered my light on May 22 and received an email notice a few minutes later that the order had been received. No light by May 26, so I called customer service. The phone rang once, then silence. Happened repeatedly that day, and never got through. Called again on May 31. Got a Customer Service girl, who explained that the light didn't ship because it was out of stock, but a new shipment had arrived and would ship that day. She said, "Oh, since I have you on the phone, what color light do you want, green or black?" I said green. "And what color "led"? I said it's an L.E.D., and that's the actual light. I want a white L.E.D. "OK," she said.

Finally get my light today (June 5), and: 1) It's a CMG Infinity, not an Infinity Ultra like the ad says; 2) The metal color is black, not green (I'm not sure if they even offer green); and 3) The LED color is amber, not white.

All in all, a great experience. Maybe the pic or the low price should have tipped me off, but like I said, I've never owned one, so figured it's just left over (pre-Gerber) stock, and they're trying to unload it. Well, it's a load, all right.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
Specification
Battery Type AA - not included
Dimensions 3.2"
Lamp Type White LED
Weight w/ Batteries 2.5 oz.
Run Time 25 Hours
Focus Type Wide
On/Off Twist Head
Material Aluminum, OD Green
CMG-IUltra$16.95

The above is pasted from ad. It clearly says white led and OD green body. Also states that it is an ultra. I would contact them and have them send you the correct light and a shipping label to return the one they sent by mistake. :lolsign:

Spordin

Enlightened
I'm just going to return it for a refund. If I asked for a replacement, I'd probably receive a used glow tube in six months at the rate this is going.

rodmeister

Enlightened
Oh no! Botach! You will never get an exchange or your money back. They will ignore all your emails and calls. I've dealt with them and will never buy anything from them.

Spordin

Enlightened
Forget it then, I'll just keep the light. Didn't realize they have such a bad reputation. Hope somebody :whoopin:'s them someday.

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear this, but with all the bad press they get I am suprised they still receive orders. . . .

scooter

Newly Enlightened
The LED color is amber, not white.
If you don't have use for the amber Infinity task light I'll bet someone in the BST forum would take it off your hands for close to what you paid. I have an amber one and it's great for finding your way around the house late at night.

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
You obviously didn't read my post in the Jeers section. I ordered two of them, and received two gerber models instead.

I'd agree with others, don't waste your time waiting for a refund. Your order will most likely get mysteriously "lost" in the mail.

Botach sucks...I ordered from them more as an experiment before I ordered more expensive items. Glad I did, saved myself a lot of heartache.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh no! Botach!
That says it at least as well as I could have. With that outfit's history you're lucky to have gotten any light at all.

On the positive side, as already noted, amber CMG Infinities are scarce as hens teeth anymore. Does it have the black tarry dot on the circuit board for a battery contact? IMO the amber Infinity is almost the ultimate discrete wine list light. :D

EDIT: BTW, I paid $17 plus shipping for a new CMG Infinity with a blue/green LED just a couple months back. I think you did ok.

As someone else said, you'll be able to get rid of it anytime you want on B/S/T. Could have been much worse.

Last edited:

rider

Newly Enlightened
Spordin said:
I'm just going to return it for a refund. If I asked for a replacement, I'd probably receive a used glow tube in six months at the rate this is going.

Just reverse charges on your credit card. Vendors become amazingly willing to trip over their feet to serve you once they've lost your money. Most CC companies require nothing more than you sending the merchandise back to the vendor. I insist that the vendor provide me with a valid return address, because shady shops like Botach like to hide behind invalid return addresses on their outgoing packages.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
As I recall, the only major difference between the two lights is that the Ultra had HA3 anodizing, whereas the Infinity had only HA2. HA3 is far superior in ruggedness. If you're not planning on using the light for EDC, then I'd keep it. Just not worth the hassle. Brightness should be the same. Frankly, both lights are now close to being obsoleted by newer LED technology.

David_Campen

Enlightened
As I recall, the only major difference between the two lights is that the Ultra had HA3 anodizing, whereas the Infinity had only HA2. ... Brightness should be the same.
The brightness _is_ different. The Ultra is significantly brighter. Don't know anything about the hard anodizing, that is not something I care about.

Frankly, both lights are now close to being obsoleted by newer LED technology.
Obsoleted how? I use them as backup lights on my helmet. What is better?