Lambda Hydra -- Even BRIGHTER Now...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I took Lambda's advice and cut down a length of PVC piping to replace the 3 D cells with 4 C cells. The Hydra was metering at 980+ lux at one meter, but with four C cells it put out 1414 lux...

Hay Lambda, how long will this Hydra's four Luxeons last at this output? If it's protected by the DC/DC circuit, this may be the way I run it from now on...

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
1414lux? Omigosh, MR Bulk - that ain't no flashlight anymore - that's a lightsabre!
grin.gif

Does the hyperdrive improve the color of the light further? I hope you're not getting that "angry blue" Craig mentions about the nichias in other posts...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hotfoot,

No change in the color, and in fact it still retains the very slight greenish outer fringes of its corona it had originaly. To the naked eye it is nearly imperceptibly brighter, but I noticed just enough of a difference that the light meter had to come out.

rlhess

Enlightened
That peak now exceeds the E2e AND the UKE D8 with stochastic reflector!

I'm sure it spreads better than the E2e--I wonder if it is as wide a beam as the UKE D8.

How long does it run?

The E2e runs about an hour and the D8 runs about 7 hours.

Cheers,

Richard

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wayne,

Thanks for looking in on this.

Rich,

You're back??? Good, I'll e-mail you later. Don't know about the D8, never had one. But as for run time, I am confident it is still longer than the SureFire's, although I don't know about the UKE's 7 hours, might have to use an ElektroLumens Blaster for that comparo plus we'd have to measure in "days"...

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk™:

Hay Lambda, how long will this Hydra's four Luxeons last at this output? If it's protected by the DC/DC circuit, this may be the way I run it from now on...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow, that's bright!
shocked.gif

Here's the Hydra heat sink next to an Illuminator heatsink.

hydheat.jpg

Before the LSs can overheat, they gotta heat up that chunk of Aluminum first, then the Mag head.

I think it will be fine, BUT, you are now operating THE World's Brightest LED flashlight. That's a lot of power through the LSs; I would guess they're each seeing about 3.5 to 6 watts, depending on the battery power available.

You truely are in the unknown area, you've got the only 3D size Hydra XP4; mine and Craig's are only 2D cases. 1414 Lux; you know this going to force me to make a 3D Hydra for myself now, hmm, maybe a 4D
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You're back from camping already?

Yeah, a 4D Hydra -- how about with 5C's??? HooBoy!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really, just between places.

Finished camping and fishing at the lake, tomorrow we go to the caves for few more days. Just taking a break between adventures, been real hot and high humidity here.

Air conditioning sure is nice.......
cool.gif