Finding stuff and other uses

GregWormald

Enlightened
G'day,
Watching tv shows cued me into the advantage of searching with a flashlight in hand. I wondered why they used lights even in the daytime or when the overhead lights were on.
So I tried it, and it works great!
It may be because of the extra light, or because the light directs my attention or ???
Whatever, it is so much easier to find that thing in the drawer, or that rolled under the seat in the car, or is in the shed somewhere, that I now use my light whenever I need to look for anything.
And I just hand to buy an HDS EDC B42XRGT to make it easier!
What 'non-standard' uses do you recommend? And what special flashlight do I 'have to' buy for it? :laughing:
Greg

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the better tricks is using a flashlight to find small items dropped on the floor. If you hold the flashlight horizontally right at floor level so that you get a very elongated beam and sweep it back and forth. Even very small items will cast a long shadow in the beam and will be readily visible even when they are almost invisible when lit from above only.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also makes shiney stuff show up a lot better when dropped on gravel. Bolts, nuts, washers, etc.

:buddies:

WNG

Enlightened
I found my white LED lights helped to highlight waterstains in white painted surfaces. Also where white flat latex paint didn't cover white stain kilz primer.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lady in a mall dropped her earring and I used one of my flat on the ground and found it quick using the shadow cast method.

Jeff

leduk

Enlightened
It also guide the human eye and brain.

I find I can look at something several times before my brain goes "there it is".
I think a beam helps focus the mind as well as the eye into processing what's being looked at.

Regards

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonShock said:
One of the better tricks is using a flashlight to find small items dropped on the floor. If you hold the flashlight horizontally right at floor level so that you get a very elongated beam and sweep it back and forth. Even very small items will cast a long shadow in the beam and will be readily visible even when they are almost invisible when lit from above only.
This works well for broken glass/ceramic on a floor too.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The part time kids that work with me are searching for products in our backroom while I've already got a cart loaded up, I walk over, pull out the RR AAA and light up the product they've for which they've been looking for.several minutes. Now, to be fair, the backroom has tiered racks with skids of product in three levels. The back of the skids get dark even under sodium vapor lighting. But c'mon, I already got my stuff ready to go and I can find their stuff in seconds. Hey, why do I carry a flashlight indoors?

The power goes out in the store while a little, old lady is trying to finish her shopping. 'Course I tell my wife I have a lot of girlfriends... and they are all either under 8 or over 80 (so she tends to forgets that my store is in a college town -- I just looooovvvve Spring and Summer). Hey, why do I carry a flashlight indoors?

The ladies at the front of the store are trying to check an out of state ID for a kid buying beer (we proof everyone and are serious about it). Meanwhile, the kid is waiting to get back to his BBQ party -- and pay us for the rest of his groceries (a lot of groceries, a lot of money). I show up with a UV Photon. I not only assert myself as Uber Geek, I also prove the ID is real, and I that am a beergawd/hero to the kid. Hey, why do I carry a flashlight indoors?

A customer says there are bugs in the sack of dog food she just bought. I giver her a new sack and show her that we take things like this seriously by fully opening the sack up and checking it right then and there. Hey, why do I carry a flashlight indoors?

"Use by" dates are in silver colored ink. We rotate our products (btw, check the use by dates at other stores). Hey, why do I carry a flashlight indoors?

A child drops a toy under a rack in the store and starts to cry. I find it in a flash (flash, get it? flash? Bwwaaahahahah!). The kid smiles big time. So does cute Mommy. Hey, why do I carry a flashlight indoors?