Pelican L1 MODS

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only swapping parts-like reflectors (from LEDlight Inc.) and different 14mm lenses-for looong throw spot (for a keyring light, anyway).

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...so, specifically, what lenses improve the L1? I think I remember hearing that a PAL light lens is a better choice but can't remember for sure...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my L1 in Olive Green today from Frank. I really like the little thang. It's a true OD.

ChrisM. I can't see tearing up a PAL for the lens. The PAL is a nice light by itself and the lens on it is one of the area's that need improving on it. IMHO of course.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't tear one up either. I think I remember hearing you can buy the lens separately...

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
i'm not sure but i think that brightguy carrys the pallight lenses. you should be able to find the thread.

- Pete

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
By adding a PAL lens to the L1, it converts it to more of a spot than a flood type light. The PAL lens fits almost perfectly in the bezel of the L1, and throws the light quite a bit further in a nicely focused beam. The only drawback is because the edge of the PAL lens is considerably thicker than the lens of the L1, the L1's bezel will not screw all the way down over the O ring, so water resistance is sacrificed. I used a Dremmel and filed down the sides of the PAL lens I used, and got the bezel to fit back over the O ring. It makes a NICE keychain spot type flashlight!

PJD

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a 6v lithium camera battery that has 2 cells that after being unwrapped is equal to 4 lr44 cells.
i will dig some out and post the info
should work well in the l1.

Azreal911

Enlightened
Originally posted by snakebite:
there is a 6v lithium camera battery that has 2 cells that after being unwrapped is equal to 4 lr44 cells.
i will dig some out and post the info
should work well in the l1.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey snakebite, did that 6v lithium battery help the runtime much or did it maintain that high brightness for a longer period of time. Actually does it even fit? heh. and what is the size of that battery called?

Illuminated

Enlightened
Lithium for an L1...
Duracell 28L Photo battery contains two of them. A little cheaper than buying individually packaged DL1/3N's, but you have to carefully extract them from within to fit the L1. Have a Starrett tape measure that uses the DL1/3N so tried them in the L1. Non-scientific first impression was that it looked a little bluer than before. Took them out after a coule of seconds because I didn't want to risk destroying the full retail L1 I had just purchased with the lithium's higher voltage. Would be interested to know if anyone else has dared to do so.
Thanks to everyone re the lens upgrade info - might want to try it myself.
Quick note - gave one to each family member and one accidentally went through washer with large bundle of keys attached. Survived strangely enough except bezel cracked partway through from lens end.
Thanks - John