ROP voltage

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3D Mag want to make a ROP. Here's my question, can the ROP bulb take the voltage from 9AA to 3D voltage (10.8 volts) or 7AA (8.4 volts) with 2 AA dummy batteries?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
7 AA cells is the practical limit for the ROP-HI bulb. 8 AA's will flash the bulb.
Many people use 7 AA's and a dummy AA in a 8AA to 2D adapter in a bored 2D mag. There are also a few brands of Ni-MH cells that are thin enough to fit into an unbored D sized Mag when placed in a 8AA to 2D adapter.

If you bored that 3D Mag you could use 4 protected rechargeable 18650 sized li-ion cells in a 2 series-2 parallel battery configuration and get an hour runtime on the HI bulb and more than 2 hours continuous on the ROP-LOW bulb.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to use 9 AA cells in that 3D mag then skip the ROP bulbs and check out the WA1185 bulb. It draws 3.4 amps at 9.6 volts.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
7 cells + 1 dummy cell will be fine. However... with the 6 cells you will get more reliability out of the bulb plus plenty of light still. If this is your first hotwire mod. I recommend the ROP mod. It's simple, more affordable than doing the mag85 mod the correct way, and will make your jaw drop the first time you turn it on.

Here's a good link with where to purchase everything. I'd definately recommend fivemega's battery holders.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114375

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a link to fivemega's battey holders. He also sells the UCL lense that's needed. He also carries the ROP bulbs that are used in this mod. So basically he'll have almost everything you need.