Blackout in part of NYC! & What flashlight was that?

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
So apparently there's been a blackout in the Upper East Side of Manhattan since about 3:30 this afternoon. Too bad I don't live anywhere near there :awman: . But anyway during the teaser for the story on CBS News, channel 2, the reporter looked like he was using a Pelican light. Unfortunately he didn't use it again when he actually reported the story, so I couldn't confirm this. But the best line of the report was when some guy's wife said, (to her kid), "Daddy's a boyscout, he had all the flashlights ready."

Any CPFers see the teaser clip or happen to be/live in the affected area?

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Hehehe, you're right of course benchmade_boy. But apparently it wasn't a total blackout in the area. A few lights here and there in the apartment buildings were on, and one lucky family still had their refrigerator running. I wouldn't mind a blackout as much if at least my fridge still had power.

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
benchmade_boy said:
if they have a black out then i dont think they can talk to you write now

If they're on dialup and have a notebook, they can be online now. :)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
We joke around a lot about blackouts and how fun they would be, but they are a pain in the arse when you are actually in one for any time period more than an hour or two. And they can be dangerous, especially in very hot or cold weather for older folks espeically. The big one of 2003 changed my mind about blackouts for good, it was not a lot of fun.

But that said, it WAS very instructional and I learned a lot about my lighting systems and what works best for extended periods and actually doing work in the dark and the effects of boredom.

grnamin

Enlightened
What a funny coincidence. I was talking to a co-worker of mine earlier today about how pee'ed off I was for missing the last East Coast Blackout. I was in DC at the time. Hope I don't miss this year's (wishful thinking :D ).

Last edited:

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
I was unprepared for the Blackout of 2003 and it was not fun. I had discounted the likelihood of a blackout in NYC. Now I'm much more ready if it were to happen again.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Another sign of being addicted to flashlights: During a news report on a blackout you are more focused on what flashlight the news reporter is carrying than what he/she is saying. I would be doing the exact same thing or I would be wondering why I don't have that light and where can I get it...

grnamin

Enlightened
I lived on a island where there were blackouts (locally known as "brownouts" because they didn't hit the whole city at once, just parts) were the norm for 4 years straight. We'd have electricity for about 6-12 hours each day. Either you became a flashoholic, or you sat in the dark most nights. :D