final answer to Surefire Lube problem

batman

Enlightened
I read some previous threads about the problems with finding a silicone based lubricant for the Surefires. Seems radio shack had a good one that went out of stock, although it was petroleum based. It has to be silicone based for the Surefire o-rings of course, so after a cursory google search for "silicone based lubricants," the first hit was "eros bodyglide" from an adult toy dealership. Well, it says silicone based rather than oil/petroleum so I'm guessing it would work.
I already tried 1 reputable auto-part store with no luck finding silicone grease, lube, etc. Does anyone else think this stuff would work?
Batman

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
batman said:
I read some previous threads about the problems with finding a silicone based lubricant for the Surefires. Seems radio shack had a good one that went out of stock, although it was petroleum based. It has to be silicone based for the Surefire o-rings of course, so after a cursory google search for "silicone based lubricants," the first hit was "eros bodyglide" from an adult toy dealership. Well, it says silicone based rather than oil/petroleum so I'm guessing it would work.
I already tried 1 reputable auto-part store with no luck finding silicone grease, lube, etc. Does anyone else think this stuff would work?
Batman

Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. ALL stock silicone grease in the plumbing section. No need to peruse the adult "toy" stores...unless that's just your thing.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110229

JM-99

frisco

Enlightened
It boggels my mind why people spend so much energy trying to search out un-proven flashlight lube???? Just get the tried and true Nyo-Gel from Lighthound ! One tube should last even the sickest flashlight junkie several years !!!!

frisco

greenLED

Flashaholic
eros bodyglide? You gotta be kidding. Nyogel from Lighthound, Krytox from The Sandwich Shoppe, silicone lube from RatShack, your local diving shop, auto parts store...

batman

Enlightened
Eros - it says silicone based- don't get me started.
Nyogel, there's an obscure product. never heard of that through the CPF/google search engine. All the places do not have silicone based lube in my hometown, Lowe's is the only good store around here. Newsflash - Ratshack silicone lube is out of stock until further notice. (check your local store for nuances).
Krytox is grease and oil!

greenLED

Flashaholic
No need to "newsflash" me, batman. :mad:

Nyogel is recommended for all sorts of lights and is very popular on CPF. Here's a link for you:
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nyogel_flashlight_lubricant.htm

Krytox, from The Sandwich Shoppe, is "custom blend of lubricant for threads and o-rings." Here's the link: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_80&products_id=710

I'd say a silicone lubricant from an adult shop is more obscure than products that have tested time and time again on CPF.

batman

Enlightened
No hard feelings, my newsflash is just for those that bought silicone grease at a ratshack b4, all good things must come to an end & they're out of it now. Yes, those were the links I looked at last time. I should think think the Nyogel is better for the Surefires (I'm buying this for the A2 Aviator) b/c it's not made from oil and grease. For people who live near a pharmacy Eros would be fine IMHO, I just don't think the cashier would beieve the "it's for a flashlight" story."

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for an alternative lube how about some "Finish Line" Teflon fortified bicycle grease. It's fully synthetic, non-toxic, boasts some rather extreme performance stats and should be available from your local bike shop. (no need for a brown paper bag to take it home in....)

The fact that I have a 1lb tub of it handy makes it a good bet from my point of view...

spin180

Newly Enlightened
I use Tetra Grease on some of my firearms, and have also been using it on my lights for several years now. It seems to do the job rather well.

Since we're talking about sex jelly...

I used to work in a photolab at a drug store. We used KY Jelly to lube the gears in the developing machines since it's water based. Every so often I'd be lubing one of the machines, by myself, when a customer would come to counter. You get some awful strange looks when you pop up from behind a machine and walk over a customer with a tube of KY in one hand and a big 'ol gob of it in the other hand.

:D

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm.

"Eros bodyglide," "ten ft. pole questions," "Finish Line Teflon," "...I have a 1lb tub of it handy..."

Hmmm. Nope. Don't wanna know about the MSDS on this.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lowes near me carries the Gunk brand of Plumbers silicone grease, it contains no Petroleum additives and is recommended for o-rings.