Man, how freakin' long will a Dorcy 1AAA run!?!??

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of these, use them in the house. since i got my trusty peak
shasta N cell ultra hi po, i don't use them as much. So i put a old CZ battery reading 1.2 in one, and it been running for 24 hr's. i took it out and reads .3 and change, and will not fire any of my ARC's or Peak's. Is this thing got major
regulation? It has the stock 5mm (my other has a 36K).

Since i am not real big on it's construction, wobbly tailcap, and larger head i just leave them near the bath and computer, But man I guess i never knew they could run this long on a "dead" battery. :huh2: VDG

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are familiar with "watching the grass grow" and "watching a tin can rust" you can add "waiting for a Dorcy AAA to die" to the list off time burning quips. :D

-LT

cerbie

Enlightened
Some boosts will require some voltage to get started. FI, the minimum starting voltage of the Arc is not related to how low it can actually drain the battery, but how low it can start some piece of its boosting circuit (that is, it will go from ~0.9v down to nothing, just not fire off on less). A light that does not need such initial voltage, which should be no problem if it is just applying some set gain, should also not have any trouble draining the battery to absolute emptiness, yet also fire up right until it is indeed dead--just like weak unregulated incans.

Sorry if that's a little vague, but I don't feel like brushing up on enough details to say it more accurately :).

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Mine was pretty dim, not much brighter than an indicator light at the 8 hour mark in the thread i've just had on. I'm sure it would have run longer but I didn't see the point of it since I was satisfied with what it did accomplish.
I've just turned on the Coast light again with 4xAG13 button cells. The two day rest did it good. It can light up a whole room again (dimly) at least for 30 more minutes. I'll keep it going for awhile tonight and report back in the other thread.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
RebelXTNC said:
Mine was pretty dim, not much brighter than an indicator light at the 8 hour mark in the thread i've just had on. I'm sure it would have run longer but I didn't see the point of it since I was satisfied with what it did accomplish.
I've just turned on the Coast light again with 4xAG13 button cells. The two day rest did it good. It can light up a whole room again (dimly) at least for 30 more minutes. I'll keep it going for awhile tonight and report back in the other thread.

I imagine It's a matter of the long regulation, this particular 5mm LED's spec vf
and one strange old ray o vac carbon zinc (CZ nerdgineer) making for a nice performance! at 24 hr's it still light (albeit dim) a dark house with good side spill even. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
cerbie said:
Some boosts will require some voltage to get started. FI, the minimum starting voltage of the Arc is not related to how low it can actually drain the battery, but how low it can start some piece of its boosting circuit (that is, it will go from ~0.9v down to nothing, just not fire off on less). A light that does not need such initial voltage, which should be no problem if it is just applying some set gain, should also not have any trouble draining the battery to absolute emptiness, yet also fire up right until it is indeed dead--just like weak unregulated incans.

Sorry if that's a little vague, but I don't feel like brushing up on enough details to say it more accurately :).

Yep, all true none the less, I never had any of my new or old ARC's run this long on a non alki/non lith batt for this long, and still fire it at .28 and change. Weird i admit, and probably as i said above, a combination of things. VDG

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:
If you are familiar with "watching the grass grow" and "watching a tin can rust" you can add "waiting for a Dorcy AAA to die" to the list off time burning quips. :D

-LT

Good one :) VDG