Streamlight SL20L run times

michiganstud

Enlightened
Hi all. Streamlight launched a newer update to the original LED SL20L. It boasts 100 more lumens and a 3.25 hour run time.

My question is about batteries. Which battery will run longer, the original 2200 mah NI-Mh battery or a 1800 mah Ni-CD battery?

I really don't like the Ni-Mh batteries.

The second part of my question, my old Ni-CD battery will fit if I take the sleeve out. Will I ruin the light if I try it???

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Hi all. Streamlight launched a newer update to the original LED SL20L. It boasts 100 more lumens and a 3.25 hour run time.

My question is about batteries. Which battery will run longer, the original 2200 mah NI-Mh battery or a 1800 mah Ni-CD battery?

I really don't like the Ni-Mh batteries.

The second part of my question, my old Ni-CD battery will fit if I take the sleeve out. Will I ruin the light if I try it???
Streamlight does make lithium ion batteries for most of their lights. My work stinger is a lithium ion stinger DS.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the NiMH battery would last longer with that difference. When you say "old Ni-CD battery will fit if I take the sleeve out" do you mean the sub-D batteries like the old SL-20X uses? The SL-20L uses a front-terminal battery only, the same one the Ultrastinger does. The old battery won't even connect. At one point they made it in both NiMH and Ni-Cd, but I think it's only NiMH now. As far as I know Streamlight only makes Lion batteries for the short Stingers, not the Ultrastinger or SL-20L.

michiganstud

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure the NiMH battery would last longer with that difference. When you say "old Ni-CD battery will fit if I take the sleeve out" do you mean the sub-D batteries like the old SL-20X uses? The SL-20L uses a front-terminal battery only, the same one the Ultrastinger does. The old battery won't even connect. At one point they made it in both NiMH and Ni-Cd, but I think it's only NiMH now. As far as I know Streamlight only makes Lion batteries for the short Stingers, not the Ultrastinger or SL-20L.

You're totally right. I didn't even think about the connections. Amazon does have a Ni-Cd battery specifically made for the SL20L. Connections correct and all.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older narrow batteries were Ni-Cd, probably made for the Ultrastinger but it fits both. I basically like the SL-20L, although it's definitely designed for backwards compatibility rather than pure performance. Wish the new Ultrastinger had kept the knurled body instead of that rubber sleeve.

If you're shopping batteries just be careful you don't get one for the original SL-20XP it's another one of those narrow batteries but the terminals are different.

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened
The older narrow batteries were Ni-Cd, probably made for the Ultrastinger but it fits both. I basically like the SL-20L, although it's definitely designed for backwards compatibility rather than pure performance. Wish the new Ultrastinger had kept the knurled body instead of that rubber sleeve.

If you're shopping batteries just be careful you don't get one for the original SL-20XP it's another one of those narrow batteries but the terminals are different.

Agreed on the ultrastinger!! That rubber sleeve is awful.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the ultrastinger!! That rubber sleeve is awful.
Glad I'm not the only person who thinks so. With that sleeve and the TIR optic the new one is a lot chunkier and heavier than the original. Plus the beam is like a laser. Give me the old body and the SL-20L's reflector in an Ultrastinger.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it definitely self-discharge? I think the power circuits of newer Streamlights have an always-on component. The buttons themselves are just momentary, not actually on/off.

michiganstud

Enlightened
Is it definitely self-discharge? I think the power circuits of newer Streamlights have an always-on component. The buttons themselves are just momentary, not actually on/off.

I really don't know? Is there another issue ya think?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I am surprised that your work car doesnt have a charger in it. I used to leave my stinger charging in the charger which is wired into the console. Those new smart chargers prevent it from overcharging the battery.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If, and I'm not 100% sure, it uses a "soft power" arrangement then part of the circuit will always be drawing a tiny amount of power. Or it could be defective, dunno. I don't have a good battery for my SL-20L right now, but I have NiMH batteries in other things and I don't have to charge them regularly at all.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I think the only light I ever owned that had a parasitic drain to it was a foursevens quark smart, it had this annoying flashlight green light on it. I eventually put olight RCR123s in it cause it would drain just by it sitting on the counter. Needless to say, I let it go.

michiganstud

Enlightened
I am surprised that your work car doesnt have a charger in it. I used to leave my stinger charging in the charger which is wired into the console. Those new smart chargers prevent it from overcharging the battery.
We are on our own to choose what light we want to use and of course everyone has a different light they think is better. So to have everyone's charger in our trucks would be way too much. I use a different truck on certain days so even leaving my charger plugged in to the outlet wouldn't be good either.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
We are on our own to choose what light we want to use and of course everyone has a different light they think is better. So to have everyone's charger in our trucks would be way too much. I use a different truck on certain days so even leaving my charger plugged in to the outlet wouldn't be good either.
Interesting, up here each car is not a take home car, they stay on post. Each car is equipped with a charger with a light in each car. Like for instance the explorer has a pelican 8060 and the charger as a sl20xp. Granted the dayshift dollies don't ever use them and the batteries go bad very fast. I just keep a charger at my desk for my issued stinger DS so I can keep it charged.