Streamlight Stinger 2020

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Anyone trying out the Streamlight Stinger 2020? It has me curious because it comes with with a battery pack of 2 18650 batteries that have on port charging. The light apparently also locks into a charger if you need to.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
It definitely looks like a neat light. I'm not a fan of the high output, I think they went overboard. But other than that it looks great and has a fantastic ui

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had one for about a year. I like it overall, with some reservations. The controls are great, the front end* is durable, it's bright, good runtime, uses existing Stinger chargers, doesn't roll, etc. The high mode isn't as big a jump from medium as you'd think, but it does put out a lot of light. Downsides are that it feels heavier than it is and I can see the shape would be awkward for some people. The 2020's main flaw is around the tailcap. It's absolutely not waterproof and the metal body is thin and unsupported at the opening. I dropped mine and it bent the battery compartment enough they got stuck. Streamlight fixed it in a few days for free but I think that's a bad design. Despite that I get a lot of use out of it. 100 lumens for 24 hours means you can do most tasks without ever worrying about battery life. Beam is biased towards flood.

If you want a Streamlight with that UI and can live with half the runtime, they have a Strion 2020 coming out. It's the same body as existing Strions and uses a normal screw-on tailcap. Technically looks like a better light. Wouldn't be surprised if it replaced my Stinger 2020. If only they'd add a lower-low mode it'd replace my EDC as well.

One of the best features of Stinger and Strion is the cradle charging. You can swap the batteries but you don't normally have to. It's a lot more convenient than taking out batteries and throwing them in a charger every day. If you only care about USB charging a lot of cheaper Streamlights take 18650s as well.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the cradle charging is something that people need to experience before pushing it off as a gimmick or something. It's fantastic your light is always in the same place and it's always fully charged. I also just did a runtime test on an eight-year-old polystinger with a nicd battery. It's still matched factory runtime specs. That is a well built light.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like mine.

Attachments

• 2DEE41A3-3082-4534-9478-183EF3919520.jpeg
    2DEE41A3-3082-4534-9478-183EF3919520.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cradle charging is always something they've done well, I don't think the stinger and the strion take the same cradle.
Thats something to keep in mind when picking which system to go with.
The big duty lights like the SL-20LP has its own charger (looks like a donut), I haven't looked if theirs a new one out this year