Streamlight Strion 2020 (New 2024)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very, very surprised if the switch, its actuator, or actuator cover used in the 2020 are different part numbers from those on the DS-HL.

Then again, I'm surprised by stuff every day!
The 2020 series lights have an indicator LED in the power switch and a translucent cover, so it's a different part#. Feels different too.

I am feeling the same thing you are, not sure what to make of it, and I'm sure you're talking about the switch on the head.
Yeah, the head switch. How "loose" does yours feel? Whatever's in there moves around and jams sideways half the time I press the switch. Don't think it was this way when I got it. It's like the mechanism broke off under the cover.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a 2024 version? Is it finally a warm tint? Surefire only did one of those and then dropped back into the blue cold stupid.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it finally a warm tint?
I think we're unlikely to see that in any models except the 'Color Rite' versions (like the Stinger), but that doesn't mean they won't move in that direction if those models sell well. They likely view those as an experiment in progress. So far, I've read of 2 users here who have bought one of those Stingers. We'll see if the market drives such a change.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we're unlikely to see that in any models except the 'Color Rite' versions (like the Stinger), but that doesn't mean they won't move in that direction if those models sell well. They likely view those as an experiment in progress. So far, I've read of 2 users here who have bought one of those Stingers. We'll see if the market drives such a change.
Wow, I had no idea those existed.

"
  • 3,000K, 90 CRI LED
  • Three (3) modes and strobe:
    - High: 500 lumens; 265m beam; runs 1.5 hours; 17,500 candela
    - Medium: 275 lumens; 190m beam; runs 2.5 hours; 9,000 candela
    - Low: 140 lumens; 134m beam; runs 5 hours; 4,500 candela
    - Strobe runs 3 continuous hours"
I'm more a 3500K guy, but this is definitely an improvement over the blue crapbeams of most LED lights.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I had no idea those existed.

"
  • 3,000K, 90 CRI LED
  • Three (3) modes and strobe:
    - High: 500 lumens; 265m beam; runs 1.5 hours; 17,500 candela
    - Medium: 275 lumens; 190m beam; runs 2.5 hours; 9,000 candela
    - Low: 140 lumens; 134m beam; runs 5 hours; 4,500 candela
    - Strobe runs 3 continuous hours"
I'm more a 3500K guy, but this is definitely an improvement over the blue crapbeams of most LED lights.
3000K is a bit warmer than I might have chosen too, but it might work well in that user segment / environment (I'm sure it did with their focus groups), and I have to give 'em big credit for at least trying it with a few models. I think the Stinger line was a good place to start, as there's about a zillion long-term Stinger users out there and some might find this to be the 'LED Stinger' they've always wanted. Given its overall performance envelope and primary applications, I think this is a very useful output curve too:

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 8.29.48 PM.png

EDIT: I forgot to provide a link to the graph I stole borrowed:

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many conversations with different people at Streamlight over the last week. They're extremely responsive and I've only had very positive interactions with them, but I don't think there's a resolution with my Strion 2020 issue. Key points:

-It has a separate part free under the switch cover. This can tilt sideways and jam the switch if you don't hit it straight on in the middle. Streamlight describes feeling the loose part in their samples but they couldn't duplicate a functional issue. Maybe my thumb isn't Pennsylvania spec.
-It's new enough the repair department hasn't seen them yet. Management took mine back for analysis and sent a new replacement light. Both lights (made the same month) have the same issue for me.
-They offered to try to find one with a better-feeling switch but I passed for the time being. I get the feeling it's more design than quality control.

So I want to like this thing, but even if the switch worked perfectly it still feels slightly broken and weird. I hope they can engineer this out in the future. I'm interested to see what other owners have to say about it and if Streamlight ever changes the design.

Also, not related to the Strion 2020, but the Stinger 2020 is another model I can only give a qualified recommendation for at this point. I love mine and I use it a lot. I've also had two that have been repaired multiple times for different tail-end problems. Streamlight strongly implied this is regular work for the repair department. So it's a great light until it's dropped on the butt.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Love my Streamlight Stinger Classic LED.
Might get the 2020 version.
Staying away from the latest Strion model.
At least until SL corrects the teething issues with it.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Staying away from the latest Strion model.
At least until SL corrects the teething issues with it.
One little detail to keep in mind if it's a 2020 vs DS-HL decision for some buyers is subjective, but could be a priority for some.

If you're primarily an under-hand / garden hose grip, side switch user, with the 2020 you'll have a fantastic way of setting / changing the output level; maybe the best I've ever seen / used in most respects (based on my Stinger 2020 experience).

If, however you're primarily an over-hand / ice pick grip, tail switch user (as I am), you'll have to change your grip to change output level (unless you use a second hand, which I usually don't have and thus don't want required), because w/ the 2020, that cannot be done with the tail switch (AFAIK).

This is the best excuse I've had to stick with the DS-HL.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they got rid of the Strion 2020's moving element and made it a solid switch like the Strion DS it wouldn't have the problem. If this isn't just a me-issue I assume they'll improve it at some point. I mean the light basically works fine so I don't want to stop anyone from getting one, but flashlights shouldn't be a situation where the wrong fingering won't turn it on.

I can't say enough good things about Streamlight as a company, though. I took all this as a chance to get my modern Streamlights all fixed up and they rebuilt, upgraded, or replaced almost a dozen lights with just a few days' turnaround. I've never had this kind of customer service from a company before, even Surefire or Ruger. I know there are a lot of people who go "Well my Wuben or Pingpong does the same thing for half the money" but I see those same guys talking about something spending a month in China after it breaks.