Streamlight Strion 2020 (New 2024)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how long it runs on max before stepping down
Screen Shot 2024-02-15 at 1.03.37 PM.png

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wonder how long it runs on max before stepping down, I look forward to seeing reviews. Some of the other departments I work with use streamlight, the only newish model I have is the Color-rite stinger.
The ui on the new strion looks like something I could trust a nonflashaholic with ;)
From some of the info. provided in this topic, it sounds as though those departments would be better off sticking with older SL models. Mainly due to battery compatibility.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
From some of the info. provided in this topic, it sounds as though those departments would be better off sticking with older SL models. Mainly due to battery compatibility.
They typically run 500 to 800 lumen models, flagging trains and track maintenance. Anything over a 1000 lumens and you're running into complaints from the LRT drivers.
The older Strions and stingers will be what they continue to buy (until they are no longer available)
They work great, take a beating and keep on ticking, with a well balanced beam and straight forward to use. I always love looking at the huge charging bay they have in their front office. A little over 40 charging docs and lights ranging from 10 years old to brand new

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Stinger 2020 about a year. Yeah, it's really good; I get a lot of use out of it. Tailcap design is garbage though. Not waterproof and I had to send it back to Streamlight after the body bent just from dropping it on a wood floor.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Stinger 2020 about a year. Yeah, it's really good; I get a lot of use out of it. Tailcap design is garbage though. Not waterproof and I had to send it back to Streamlight after the body bent just from dropping it on a wood floor.

Well, I must say the Stinger 2020 has virtually nothing in common with the other Stingers (except the charger), nor with the referenced Strion 2020 in this thread (except the output level switch). That said, ......

I dig my Stinger 2020 (the only Stinger I've ever had), and it has a number of unique design innovations / features, most all of which are great. Sorry to hear of your failure though. I've wondered about your failure ever since you originally posted about it. I've always wondered about (what appears to be) its machined cast Al housing though (which was probably required given the design), and your story isn't encouraging. I know a bit about Al extrusions and their alloys, but know ZERO about Al castings, including their alloy(s), so I've always had questions. I guess I still do.

I've had a Stinger 2020 about a year

Did you trash it / sell it after the 'repair', or are you still using it?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use it. It's mostly a great flashlight. Problem with the tailcap is nothing supports the body when it's closed. So if you drop the light on its end the tailcap will kind of shift out of the way and the metal can be dented. Most be fairly soft aluminum, dunno. The cap also doesn't have a very positive seal. I think I'd like it more if it used a traditional Stinger DS body, but then the battery capacity would be less.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use it. It's mostly a great flashlight. Problem with the tailcap is nothing supports the body when it's closed. So if you drop the light on its end the tailcap will kind of shift out of the way and the metal can be dented. Most be fairly soft aluminum, dunno. The cap also doesn't have a very positive seal. I think I'd like it more if it used a traditional Stinger DS body, but then the battery capacity would be less.
Roger that. BTW, unlike the Strion 2020 (incremental improvement), they actually were trying to "re-invent" the Stinger with the intro of the 2020 (which frankly, I think it could use, particularly Li-ion power supply, which the 2020 provides. Ironically, the Stinger 2020 is (AFAIK) likely the only Stinger model that passes and gets an FL1 2-meter impact rating (which is not easy), unlike the Strions, which (AFAIK) all pass those tests and get that rating. Keep in mind that: '2>>1 x 2' in terms of FL1 impact resistance criteria.

I honestly think you had to have gotten one that was defective in some way (casting 'inclusion' or something?). That aside, I still don't trust castings the way I trust 6061-T6 extrusions, but that's probably because I don't know jack about castings or their commonly used alloys and their properties. Regardless, I'm not sure their 're-inventing' of the Stinger has worked out (yet). A lot of Stinger users are professionals and many are likely a bit 'set in their ways', and I've also noted CPF users in general seem to be rather heavily fixated on / concerned with aesthetics - sometimes 'form over function'. It doesn't 'look like' their Father's flashlight, nor any of their other flashlights. For those reasons, it may end up being a sales flop - although some of the design features, such as that output level switch, have or likely will make it into other models, so it wasn't a complete waste of effort for them, even if perhaps not profitable. I think there's probably a whopping 3-5 of us CPF users who use one;-) It was good enough to sell me one, and I wouldn't have otherwise chosen a Stinger, so maybe it will catch on as others use them and the word gets around; or perhaps not;-)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really think it's a fantastic light, just kinda half-baked. The rest of the thing feels like you could pound nails with it. The head is much, much stronger than other Stingers. Give me a metal positive locking tailcap and we're good. With the shape of the light I've never found the tail switch convenient. I really should try the Strion 2020 when discounts become available. Also want one because I really need a photo of Streamlight's 50th year model next to their 1st year model.

By the way, Streamlight's response was excellent as usual. I had a repaired light back a week later when I sent in my bent 2020. Judging from the parts list they disassembled the whole light and pounded the batteries out from the front and then straightened the case.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I think I would like the design of the strion 2020 a lot more, if they added an 18650 battery as the power source. The battery with the on port charging. I think it was a neat idea to have the Stinger 2020 with 18650 batteries that have on port charging. I will just stick to my protac.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would like the design of the strion 2020 a lot more, if they added an 18650 battery as the power source. The battery with the on port charging. I think it was a neat idea to have the Stinger 2020 with 18650 batteries that have on port charging. I will just stick to my protac.
SL did not re-invent the Strion system w/ the 2020, they just improved / enhanced / expanded it. If the basic Strion system didn't meet your requirements previously, it likely doesn't now either.

I think you just might be in this category above.

I don't think you'd get Li-ion of any kind w/ a Stinger (2020 aside). From what I gather, the ProTac aisle is absolutely where you should be shopping for that in the Streamlight Store.

I guess one of the best things about SL is that they not only make a lot of lights with good basic options (ie: Ten-Tap) to suit different specific needs of different users in a given product line, but also make several complete product 'lines' for the same reason. If there were a lot of lights in different lines that fit the same user needs, for them, that would indicate that they were screwing up. That's not really their model. They're a big enough operation that they can structure things the way they have. It lets them develop products that target all their target market segments very effectively. Few other U.S. flashlight manufacturers have the resources to do that. I'll let you know when I think of one :)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really should try the Strion 2020 when discounts become available.

BTW, which proper distributor(s) discounts Streamlight? I will not be changing from the ones I currently use, but if I get any poorer, I might have to start 'bottom feeding' for price at some point. Right now, I still prioritize distributor quality above a small price difference, but that could change.

...just kinda half-baked

I think that's a bit of a stretch, Bro'.

The rest of the thing feels like you could pound nails with it. The head is much, much stronger than other Stingers.

That's good, but if it can't survive a minor fall without damage requiring repair, weight does not matter (except for use as a weapon). Keep in mind that (most if not all) other Stingers cannot pass FL1 2-meter testing, or they would get that rating. Some like to equate weight with reliability / durability, but if that were true, anyone could make reliable / durable flashlights. Unfortunately it doesn't, and few do. It's also worth noting that one of the Stinger 2020s features appreciated by me is its superb balance. Unfortunately that may work against it when dropped, as it's about as likely to land on its tail as its head(?). Also, keep in mind that 6 samples survived 'worse' hits than yours had on their tail, although I'm sure there can be some small angular variability. That's one reason why 2 meters requires that all 6 samples pass. Given that the light passes FL1 impact at 2 meter criteria, I don't feel that your light should have been dented in a way that required repair. It probably couldn't pass IP either. Didn't you say yours leaked even before being dropped?

"Dropped samples cannot have any visible cracks or breaks and must remain fully functional."

I understand that technically your light was probably basically functional, and the damage incurred likely wasn't 'visible', but I still maintain that this should not have happened (either the functionally compromised / dented housing or water ingress).

Keep in mind that the specs for IP test state:

'...it must be done after impact resistance testing is completed to ensure water resistance under real-life conditions.'

I will continue to maintain that your unit most probably had some original defect. Your failure was not necessarily due to design defect, so I would not be so quick to assume that is the case. I am quite confident in the quality of SL's FL1 testing. They may be the only manufacturer I would make that statement regarding. It would take extraordinary luck for your sample to have passed FL1 2-meter testing, when we know 6 samples did. You only tested 1. I can do that math;-)

By the way, Streamlight's response was excellent as usual.

Good to hear. In all the years I've never had to use them for repair/warranty work (knock on wood), but it's good to know that their Support quality is up to the standards of their Product quality.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I think you just might be in this category above.

I don't think you'd get Li-ion of any kind w/ a Stinger (2020 aside). From what I gather, the ProTac aisle is absolutely where you should be shopping for that in the Streamlight Store.

I guess one of the best things about SL is that they not only make a lot of lights with good basic options (ie: Ten-Tap) to suit different specific needs of different users in a given product line, but also make several complete product 'lines' for the same reason. If there were a lot of lights in different lines that fit the same user needs, for them, that would indicate that they were screwing up. That's not really their model. They're a big enough operation that they can structure things the way they have. It lets them develop products that target all their target market segments very effectively. Few other U.S. flashlight manufacturers have the resources to do that. I'll let you know when I think of one :)
Some of my wishlist items for Streamlight, 1 is add more modes to ten tap. I give Pelican the one up on this because they give you a high low option. Ten Tap gives you High, medium, low and strobe, then high only, then low medium high. I like options. 2nd request is that all of their batteries have on port charging. Like with the Strion, the battery size is basically an 18650, why can't they add a charging port to the battery? I know with the Stinger 2020 the battery pack had a couple of 18650s that have on port charging. Thats a good back up if you arent near a charging sleeve. Just my opinion though.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen a photo of the NASA light. The story seems to be they first made that, and then used the technology to start making the 1 Million--Streamlight's first commercial product. This is almost certainly from the first year in 1973. By 1982 they were $475 plus an optional $150 battery pack (all together over $2,000 in today's money) so it was some serious bread.

Streamlight doesn't get a lot of historical recognition these days, but they were essentially making a Surefire Hellfighter back when a typical flashlight used two D-cells and cost a buck.