Newbie, first real flashlight

Caspian17

Newly Enlightened
Alright, just to start things off, I have no idea about any flashlights, I always thought a flash light was a flash light (I knew lumens etc). My real experience has only been mag-lites. My question is this, I actually am getting my CCW soon and was looking about what I would like to carry on me, and a flashlight sounds good. I live on a farm as well so the flashlight would be used quite often. I am looking for recommendations on flashlights, what kinds would be able to be carried, and be used quite often. Another thing, I could probably justify around $100, but much more than that, and ya... tuition money is spent on a flashlight. Any help would be great appreciated.

dasanii19

Enlightened
Have you considered a weapon light? I just bought the Surefire X200B for $199.00, you can get the X200A for around $95.. This is if you have a rail on your pistol :)

InfidelCastro

Banned
I recommend a Surefire E2E, thought I also recommend you get a long pocketclip for it.

I used to carry and E2E and now I carry an E2O with an MN03 lamp. This is the 60 lumen lamp the E2E comes with.

The advantages I find of the E2O are the slightly smaller (though minuscule in reality and might cut down on heat dissipation) bezel and it comes with the longer pocketclip already installed.

Last edited:

a99raptors

Enlightened
Recommendation?

Get 2 Surefire lights in a combination that best suits your needs.
Maybe the E2e+G2.
Consider the Combatlights too because of the grip. But they are pricier.
Always get a spare. If wherever you need to go requires you to carry a gun, you need two lights at least.
Or if you want something a little pricier, L4+G2.

mdocod

Flashaholic
a Surefire 9P (or equivalent compatable offering from G&P/digilight/ultrafire) combined with a pair of 17500 sized lithium-ion protected rechargable cells and a DSD charger.... highly recomended setup- pocketable, very bright, rechargable.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
dasanii19 said:
Have you considered a weapon light? I just bought the Surefire X200B for $199.00, you can get the X200A for around $95.. This is if you have a rail on your pistol :)

MSRP on the X200a is $250, where can you get them for $95?

dasanii19

Enlightened
Actually im sorry, I was thnking of the TLR-1 for $95, and that is with a group buy. Here is a website that I have found to have the best prices. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/SearchResults.jsp but I got mine from Calvin at brightflashlights, I recommend him over mostly anyone. You can call him for prices, maybe ask him if he can match or beat dawsons prices.. Here is his # (352) 732-2156 Tell him Zac sent cha :)

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
a99raptors said:
Recommendation?

Get 2 Surefire lights in a combination that best suits your needs.
Maybe the E2e+G2.
Consider the Combatlights too because of the grip. But they are pricier.
Always get a spare. If wherever you need to go requires you to carry a gun, you need two lights at least.
Or if you want something a little pricier, L4+G2.
+1
I like this suggestion.

But you need to consider your needs. Are you just looking for a good flashlight for general usage, or to use alongside your gun?

If you're looking for one to use with your gun, you may want to consider getting the Surefire G2z with the combat grip... or the Z2, from OpticsHQ or Spyder TacticalSupply for about $80.

Otherwise, I'd recommend picking up a G2 and E2e as well-- the E2e for normal use and the G2 for use strictly with your gun-- that way you always have fresh batteries. You can also never go wrong with the Fenix L1P/L1T for general (non-tactical) usage, from David at Fenix-store.com for around $40.

By the way, welcome to CPF, and watch your wallet. Check out greenLED's CPF Specials, linked in my signature, for some good deals.

Warp

Enlightened
I am more than happy with my Surefire G2. Being a lumen junky I spent another $25 ($60 total) and bought a "super high output" 120 lumen P61 lamp assembly. Run time is only 20 minutes but that is plently long for it's intended purpose.

I carry other lights for mundane day to day tasks. Right now I have two Nuwais (TM-310H and TM-311H) and an Inova X1 in my pockets.

The Inova runs on a single AA and can be bought for $20 at Target. It puts out a nice flood style beam and will run 6-8 hours on one AA alkaline. The Nuwais run on one and two AAAs and can be found for about $10/ea.

If you havn't seen it yet, this is a great resource:

http://flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_manu.htm

IMO it is a good idea to have a non lethal weapon at your disposal when you carry. Ever consider carrying OC? http://www.defensedevices.com/worhotpepspr.html