Small size modified dive light

acalm

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

This is my 1st post in the forum.Has anyone tried modifying any 2xAA size dive light? Does it work well as a dive light and outdoor light after modifications?The size should be about that of Princeton Tec 20.

Probable modifications include a brighter lamp eg.6 cell halogen bulb, AA rechargable Li-ion batteries, glass reflector , glass lens etc..

Feel free to give your comments!

Cheers
acalm

tec20.jpg

Deanster

Enlightened
2xAA is an awfully small light underwater - hardly even a backup light. For me, the Pelican Stealthlite 4xAA or similar is the absolute minimum for a dive backup.

Canister lights, 8xC lights, etc. are basic dive main lights.

I'd be super-hesitant to mod a dive light much - glass lens is MUCH more likely to break when bumped, leaving you with a flooded and useless light.

Better batteries are fine, as is a reflector upgrade, but 'most' AA dive lights have a very narrow beam in in hopes of penetrating a couple feet of water - modding for a more 'flood' beam will give a smoother beam, but won't throw enough light up your own feet when diving.

I really like Pelican's line of dive lights for mixed use - outdoors, car lights, boating, wet conditions, and diving. Nice 'pencil' beams and outstanding reflectors make their dive series some of the best throwing lights around, and the polymer bodies take a mighty beating without complaint.

Hope this helps!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just wanted to say Greetings and Welcome!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!