recommendation on a small powerful light

jadedriver

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to check in and see if there is any new recommendations on a small size light with a lot of throw. I have the Thrulight catapult which was recommended in a post on here I did a couple years back and I am happy with its weight, size and its throw but I have never liked it as a device. You have to tactically "feel" for the power button like a blind person even after using it awhile as both sides of the flashlight feel the same. its really a poor design this way. it also has 2 power levels, the first power level really isnt useful but you have to double click the power button to get the max throw. Also has a strobe feature but it is so hard to get the clicks right. Also has a low powered "lightbug" feature but its so low a light its pretty useless and no way to adjust it. I also Do not want to have external batteries.
So, one power level is all that is needed, the max. its only used to spot house numbers, mailboxes, etc. I do not want to have to "feel around" for the power button; the second it is in my hand I know the orientation. the light bug feature is nice if I can adjust it. needs to be small, pocket size so its ok to also have a phone and wallet, etc.

You might want to consider the JETbeam JET-I MK XP G2. This is a three-mode twisty (L-M-H) with mode memory. Just select the mode you want and it will stay there. (High is advertised as being 480 lumens, which in my experience is spot on.) Pretty good throw for a AA/14500 pocket light. Can be purchased for $20 or less. Cool white emitter, about 6000k. I've used one for five years and it's never given me any problem.

If you want something larger, contact SkyLumen for a custom modded torch. He modded an EagTac P25LC2 (an 18650 light) for me with an Osram emitter to output 55,000 candela on the high setting...it illuminates objects at a distance clearly, from a light that disappears into or clips onto a pocket without any appreciable bulk.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens Mini Turbo Mk III. It can be programmed to max only. Throw is great for the size.

emac77

Newly Enlightened
Convoy S6 with an Osram led. Fenix PD32 or Acebeam P16 if you don't want to wait for the slow boat from China. Surefire EDC1 or 2-DFT if you have an unlimited budget.

tonkem

Enlightened
2 lights I would suggest, Surefire EDC1 DFT - 95000 candela, small package. Nitecore MH12 pro for a smaller package, or MH25 pro for a bit larger head with more throw.

GGCC24

Newly Enlightened
Find this one ThruNite Catapult mini, small but powerful
50% OFF, limited-offer