Eveready 2AA Swivel-head flashlight mod

Hemingray

Enlightened
This one is a very quick and easy mod... It literally takes less time to perform the mod than it takes to read this.

I was checking out the flashlight shelves at the local Wal-Mart, they have a small 2-AA Eveready "swivel head" flashlight for $6.97. This comes with two reflector assemblies, one with a clear lens, the other with a red lens. Takes the same bulb as a 2AA Maglite.

The mod is simple - take the spare reflector, carefully take it apart, and use a 7/32 drill bit to manually ream out the little hole so it will fit a 5 mm LED. Pull out the bulb (a little carrier comes out with it). Take a good bright red, orange or yellow LED, trim the pins so a little longer than the original bulb's pins, insert it and put it back in the flashlite. If it doesn't light up, reverse it and try again.
(I chose R, O or Y as they run bright on 2 AAs, and don't really need a resistor). Reassemble the reflector assembly, using the clear lens (or red if you like) and presto, you have an LED flashlight for $7 to 8! There is room inside to shoehorn in a red or yellow Luxeon Star, with a little careful trimming, I'll have to get another one and see how it works out...

If you are uncomfortable with direct driving an LED with 3 Volts, just use 2 AA NiMH or NiCd cells.

/ed brown in NH

Hemingray

Enlightened
Did I say Eveready? D'Oh!!!! I meant Ray-O-Vac.
It's Monday, It's way too early, I have not yet been sufficiently caffeinated and I had an el-cheapo Eveready "Industrial" 3D sitting in front of me. Plus a Garrity 2D and a Ray-O-Vac 3D industrial converted to 1 white/pee-green Luxeon Star/O. The little 2AA Ray-O-Vac was sitting in the other lab, being played with by some of the other engineers and techs.

/ed brown in NH (insert red-face icon here)

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I've got the 2D version of this torch...modded of course with an EMPOWERTORCH direct drive LED bulb!
It is seriously bright. I want to mod this torch with a multi-LED array though...possibly a cluster of 4 or 5 Kingbright orange LED's.
I never thought of using Nicads or NiMH in DD torches... what a great idea!