HA natural? or HA black?

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I want to get a SF e2e (unless someone can come up with a light with more brightness, smaller size, or more versatility).

I didn't see the option for HA black on SF's website. But i was wondering if i should get HA black? or HA natural? Since i did see it on another website.

Since they are both HA, shouldn't they both be as durable as one another?

I also want a surefire L4 as well, but that one doesn't come in the black HA finish. Should i just get the natural finish in HA for both of them so that they match? I've hit a dilemma here.

thanks

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
It is my understanding that any time color is added to the anodizing process it will weaken the anodizing. I don't know to what extent it weakens the anodizing, but this is what I've read on CPF.

There are a few black KL4's around. They are taken from Surefire Scout lights.

If you want a black KL4, do a search in the Buy section of the B/S/T forum using my user name. I have posted in threads in the past that had links to where you can buy a black KL4.

There are also black KL1s.

It is easier to find parts and accessories if you go with the Hard Anodized Natural.

Chris201W

Enlightened
I prefer HA Natural to HA Black in the looks department. There's something about that olive/gray color that is way more appealing to me than a plain black light could ever be. I guess that's personal preference though. I'm not sure if natural is actually more durable than black.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with those who think that HAIII Nat is the most beautiful finish for a light. I have no logical or rational reason. I will often buy lights that are not available in Nat but I would never turn it down when given a choice. Go figure.

I've also heard that it's a tougher finish which, if true, would just be icing on he cake for me.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Yeah, I can't explain my affinity for Type III anodizing. It's just so nice...

bagman

Enlightened
Black HAIII shows up damage much more than natural IMHO

The natural colour seems to just hide little dings whereas they stand out on black.

I have a SF L4 that has now been carried and used at work for over 2 years and although it has quite a few little dings and blemishes you cant see then unless you look hard. I've had a black E2D that was only carried for a few weeks and showed the dings a lot more than the L4.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Sacrilege!!! You guys should all be :banned:

HA-BK :rock:

(I do like HA-NAT as well, but I like BK much better)

Chris201W

Enlightened
Um, yeah. I was going to say, while a lot of people really like HA Nat, a lot of people also like HA Bk. It's really personal preference.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris201W said:
Um, yeah. I was going to say, while a lot of people really like HA Nat, a lot of people also like HA Bk. It's really personal preference.

Yea, i figured that was the #1 reason for the color choices. But i just wanted to find out if there was a down side to black. It seems that there's a general consensus that the nicks show up easier on black.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVE natural but the textured finish of the black Gladius is wonderful too. It is almost velvety in appearance and has this wonderful grippiness in the hand.

HA nat is stunning though. I do not know exactly why but I have not yet seen HA on a light and thought to myself "wow, I do not like that finish."

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big Bob said:
Oh good. I'm not the only one :thumbsup: .

You said it Big Bob! Black HA is my preference also. I'm still waiting for them to come out with a black M6. :drool:

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
dizzy said:
...I'm still waiting for them to come out with a black M6. :drool:
Oh dizzy, an HA BK M6. Now that would be sweet :takeit: ! Unlikely that we'll ever see one even as a limited edition, but it sure would be nice. If SureFire ever did make them available as a limited edition, they would likely be gobbled-up just like the A2 HA BK lights were.