Flashlight combo suggestions for emergency kit

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in Japan, earthquakes being a not too uncommon occurrence, it is pretty normal to have some sort of emergency kit in case of 'the big one'.

I've got a pretty good kit which I refresh on a regular basis, and recently decided to update/upgrade my emergency lights(please don't ask what was there before, it's embarassing
rolleyes.gif
). Here is what I am thinking of:

PT Surge - Primary general purpose light

Arc AAA white - small, bright backup

Infinity white, with Lithium battery - small, long life backup (can also use Surge's batteries)

I should mention that my kit is a small backpack size ('daypack'), intended for 2 adults for about 3 days. I don't intend to include any large lantern size lights, as this is a 'grab it and run' kit.

I'm interested in what others out there would choose to put in an emergency kit like this in case of natural (or man-made) disaster, and the reasons for the choices.

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would suggest adding a Princeton TEC Attitude and/or Impact. Both are LED lights with long run times on one set of batteries.

Also, I recommend a Photon Micro Light III.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:
Here in Japan, earthquakes being a not too uncommon occurrence, it is pretty normal to have some sort of emergency kit in case of 'the big one'.

I've got a pretty good kit which I refresh on a regular basis, and recently decided to update/upgrade my emergency lights(please don't ask what was there before, it's embarassing
rolleyes.gif
). Here is what I am thinking of:

PT Surge - Primary general purpose light

Arc AAA white - small, bright backup

Infinity white, with Lithium battery - small, long life backup (can also use Surge's batteries)

I should mention that my kit is a small backpack size ('daypack'), intended for 2 adults for about 3 days. I don't intend to include any large lantern size lights, as this is a 'grab it and run' kit.

I'm interested in what others out there would choose to put in an emergency kit like this in case of natural (or man-made) disaster, and the reasons for the choices.

Graham
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Graham,

I would strongly second Alan's recommendation of the UK 2L as an ideal emergency light, and I would suggest my favorite, the UK Mini Q40 as an alternate because of its extended runtime. The Surge is an excellent light butI would not choose it as an emergency light because It can't take lithiums, and 8 alkaline AA's are heavy, not to mention the weight of 8 additional batteries for backup, and the fact that field-reloading the Surge is extremely difficult. Its run time with alkalines is decent, but barely equal to the 2L and far short of the Mini Q40 on lithiums.

The UK 2L is an ideal emergency light. With Surefire or Duracell Ultra 123A's you can count on 3 hours of light.

If you want a longer runtime, get the UK Mini Q40 and use Lithium AA's. It is brighter, smaller, and runs longer than any other 4AA I've seen or tested, including the Tec 40. With lithiums you can count on 4 1/2 hours. (I consistantly got 5- 5:15 hours out of it, but after 4 1/2 hours it's quite dim).

The Mini Q40 including Lithiums weighs 3.7oz.
The 2L with batteries weighs 2.6oz. Both lights are very sturdy and fully waterproof. I strongly suggest extra batteries and an extra lamp regardless of which light you select.

I adapted an ordinary streamlight Scorpion holster to hold a UK lamp plus 4 AA lithiums in a really tiny package. Alternately, it can hold a lamp (or many Surefire lamps) plus 4 123A's.

Since these lights are for possible emergencies it is essential that you test the batteries and lamps. I suggest you select batteries with the latest possible date. If you're assembling the kit now, your lithiums should not be dated any earlier than 2010, and preferably 2011. IMO it is best to reject any 123A whose voltage is less than 3.20v, although that's fine for ordinary use.

Since you are packing for two, I suggest two lights, whether they are 2L's or Mini Q40's, or some other incandescents you may select, though based on personal experience I believe that these two are the best and most appropriate lights for your purposes.

Even if no emergencies occur for long periods, after about 5 years I would replace or at least retest all your lithiums. It is clear that the best, most reliable batteries for emergency use currently available are lithiums. Certainly they are expensive, but they are the best insurance you can buy.

Good luck, and a pox on all earthquakes!

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I haven't thought much about UK lights, mainly because they are fairly hard to come by here.

Actually, I had avoided 123 based lights as I wanted to keep with lights which used fairly standard, easy to obtain batteries. Where possible, I would prefer lithium batteries. In any case, I check the kit on a regular basis, and most other items have a shorter shelf life than the batteries, so the longer shelf life of lithiums isn't too much of a priority.

I just got a PT Impact yesterday, and love it! I know that some had said the beam was quite narrow, but I think its great to be able to get such a good spot from a single LED, and with a really long run time. To tell the truth, I've always had a thing about spot lights, and as a result tend to favour them over wider dispersed lights.

I think I need to try some UK lights though..

Graham

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:
.I think I need to try some UK lights though..
Graham
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Graham,

I'm not sure if you read my first post because I spent some time editing it. I just realized that I forgot to mention something really basic. Ever since 9/11 and my personal (not dangerous) involvement with it, I EDC at least two lights; I'm literally never without them.

I assume you do the same, especially considering where you live. They could be a real life saver, even in the daytime. I've mentioned this several time in this Forum, but when Mayor Guiliani and his staff were trapped in that pitch black basement on that beautiful September morning, their fate might have been quite different if two of them hadn't had flashlights.

And I still prefer lithiums!

Best regards,
Brightnorms

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm,

I can understand your recommendation of Lithiums; and I may yet go that way if I can get hold of a UK 2L - if the size is right I may put one in anyway (can't have too many lights, I reckon). I am trying to have a balance of performance and versatility though. I was aiming for just AA and AAA based lights for interchangeability, but a 123 based light might go in too.

Regarding EDC, you are correct - my E2-HA and Arc LE are always within arms reach (usually closer..)
I'd consider a Surefire for the kit, but the short runtime is a problem. The UK and PT lights seem much better choices.

Graham

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not a good AA powered light with lithium AA's installed? That would give you a long shelf life, and the ability to use easy to obtain AA batteries. The CMG Infinity you have is great for less light and long runtimes, and another AA powered light would give you less battery types to worry about.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unicorn:
[QB]Why not a good AA powered light with lithium AA's installed?....QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unicorn and Graham,

I agree. That's why I recommended the UK Mini Q40 with AA lithiums.

Brightnorm

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lucky me! I finally found a couple of stores selling UK lights, specifically the 2L and Mini Q40. Time to get some new lights!

Graham
grin.gif
grin.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend 2L over Surge as part of emergency kits for a few reasons.

1) It's MUCH smaller (you need room for food and water)
2) It's lighter, for the weight saved, you could keep spare batteries.
3) It uses lithium which has longer shelf life.
4) It's bright and I am not sure you need the brightness of Surge.

Infinity with Lithium is definitely good choice. Besides, small LED headlamp might be good as well. In some situation, you don't want to have one hand tied up with a freshlight.

Alan

artar

Enlightened
i would suggest the UKE 2L /Q40 or the PrincetonTec Tec40.
Why the tec40?
It is very sturdy and waterproof.
It uses common AA-size alkalines and common pr-base bulb. It can also be equiped with a pr-base 3LED bulb. in this setup you have to use 3 AA alkalines and a fake AA.

in an emergency scenario its a big advantage when you can feed your equipment at a local store or by the neighbor.

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
My EDC are an ARC LE and a PT Rage. My reasoning is that even after the Rage fades, the AAA's can keep the LE going. Question – how does the Rage compare to the UK 2L in brightness?

My "keep it small" emergency pack has a Rage and an Attitude. I pack the two flat sections together with the lamps pointing out and wrap together with a Jackstrap. Change the batts yearly and hope Lithium AAA's will become a reality. (actually the LED unit is a "Rattiude" – a Rage body with LED Module to cut down the backscatter from that silly translucent case on the Attitude. I Really wish PT would sell the 3-LED module alone, but Bright Guy sez he can only get it as a warranty replacement item- grumble)

The "Big" kit has (among others) a Streamlight Syclone with AA Lithiums plus a spare battery carrier and bulb. I put the included helmet mounting plate on my hardhat/earmuffs/facescreen chainsawing rig (we get hurricanes and windstorms in the SE USA.) Chainsawing while drooling and trying not to lose my teeth to the mini-mag in my mouth will NOT happen again. P.S. I got a lot less crap about my preparedness bent after hurricanes Fran and Floyd – even before 9/11.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhotonRanger:
Question – how does the Rage compare to the UK 2L in brightness?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Rage is a great little light that is initially brighter and more dispersed than the 2L. It has ben called "The Poor Man's E2"

Unfortunately it has a very short functional burn time, and is soon outclassed by the 2L which has a much longer and brighter B.time. Also, lithiums are the preferred emergency light batteries.

I use my Rage around the house, but I would never have it in my emergency kit except as a short-lived backup to a backup. I would also strongly suggest pre-testing the batteries as well as the lamps. Of course, always have spare Batteries and lamps, unless you are totally confident about your backup.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if anyone has considered longer emergencies, where you may really need rechargeables. You may want to see this thread about 1 hour chargers:

here

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get an Eternalight, extremely long run times, waterproof, dimmable, SOS flash function, and 4 LEDs. If I were stuck somewhere, that would be the light I would have.

Avro

Newly Enlightened
For pretty much any emergency or survival kit light, I'd have to say that a AA powered flashlight is the better option, notwithstanding a backup Photon or AAA Arc of course.

AAs are relatively cheap, readily available, and you can spend a little more and get them in "storage friendly" lithium (although not all lights can use Li batts.). Many other items in a survival or emergency kit also use AA batteries, such as GPS receivers, AM/FM/SW radios, FRS radios, etc. This means that you need only carry one type of spare battery.

Avro

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
Good information Norm. I am big into multiple backups. I got into PT Rages by way of modifying Attitudes. I couldn't come up with a carrier for a Xenon Spare lamp and batteries any smaller than the Rage itself, and started carrying and liking them. The UK2L is about the same size and uses lithiums, and has been recommended by yourself as well as Doug Ritter. However, I probably should expand the kit size to accommodate a mini-Q40 with lithium AAs, lest the UK2L start me down Route 123 to Surefire poverty.

On the Eternalight, I wouldn't like to have to change batteries rushed and in the dark on it - good backup though. One (more) thing I like about the Streamlight Syclone for emergencies is that the spare battery carrier holds the AA cells in place well when outside the light, and is keyed to facilitate insertion into the light by feel, without tools.

I sometimes try out equipment after running some laps, then trying to make things work in low-light-pant-wheeze-shaking-hands mode. It can be enlightening with emergency gear choices, including or especially security items.

Redball

Newly Enlightened
Graham,

I live in San Francisco, so I can really understand you situation. After the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 we are still waiting for the "big one". The lights I carry in my emergency kit are

PT Impact - long run time, good general-purpose light

Petzl Zipka - long run time, good area light and an integrated strap that lets you use it as a headlamp. I can relate with PhotonRanger trying to fix something in the dark with a mini-mag in your mouth.

SureFire G2 - good bright beam and when used intermittently will last a while.

Light sticks (8 hr. and 12 hr. white) - for constant sustained light, they preclude me from using the flashlights too often and are safer that using candles.

I find myself using an area light more than requiring a bright beam.

My EDC are an E2, Inova X-5, and a Sure Fire spares carrier in my briefcase.

Good luck,

Rick

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
I don't know if anyone has considered longer emergencies, where you may really need rechargeables. You may want to see this thread about 1 hour chargers:

here
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guy,

Your point is well taken. The only problem is if the emergency disrupts normal power distribution. That's why I prefer lithiums.

Certainly I'd supplement my kit with long-burning LED's. The 4 x AAA Attitude burns almost as long as the Infinity and is much brighter, but unfortunately there are no commercially available AAA lithiums, though I believe Eveready/Energizer used to make them. The Inova x5 is a wonderful light but only burns brightly for about 5-6 hours. The Eternalight is a good choice because of its multiple brightness options along with being lithium-capable (AA's). The only problem is that if you've been using it on Bright for several hours, field-changing batteries is unusually awkward.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhotonRanger:

I sometimes try out equipment after running some laps, then trying to make things work in low-light-pant-wheeze-shaking-hands mode. It can be enlightening with emergency gear choices, including or especially security items.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Photon,

You are VERY smart.

Best regards,Brightnorm