Where to get amber 5mm leds with 60+ viewing angle???

HockeyZ39

Newly Enlightened
I have a driving/turn signal light set up with 60 degree viewing angle white 5mm LED's for the driving lights but now I need some amber 5mm's with the same or greater viewing angle. I have searched for quite some time, but all I have found is either A.) only 1000mcd (the whites are 10000) or B.) Do not have a clear lense.

The white looks Awesome in my setup, but I have some 20 degree ambers (13000mcd) in there now, and they just look faint, and in the day you cannot see them at all. TIA for any help!

stamat

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the 50 degree warm white LEDs from LED Supply would work for you.
They are quite yellowish.

HockeyZ39

Newly Enlightened
You wouldnt happen to have any pictures of the actual light would you? They are only 1800mcd, I have found a set of 60 degree ambers @ 1000mcd I would just light brighter so it matches my 10000mcd 60 degree whites.

HockeyZ39

Newly Enlightened
What about 10mm? or 8mm? Need some amber with a wide viewing angle and some decent MCD asap. Superflux will not work in this application btw. TIA

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can look here
http://www.moreleds.com/specials.htm
they have pirannah for 10c, at that price changing the design is possible :)
they also have 4 die ambers, which will be real light.

the problem your experiencing is probably related to the viewing angle and what "mcd" really is. the mcd rating for 5mm type leds is just a center hot spot rating, is has little to nothing to do with its overall light output capacity.
so the higher the wizz bang MCD ratings, the more likly the led is very spotty.

and with a 60* viewing angle you really dont want a spot, or a hot center area, which would RATE high mcds.

so when you go wider, you need to re-think what your going to be able to aquire in mcd things. from what i have seen, light is light, and unless its a 4die, or has a better heat sync (bigger) or runs SPEC at higher currents, they are pretty much the same light output, its the spot that is the cute ratings.

note 4 die small leds or even 8-10 mm leds are burning hot, and will need better heat syncking of the legs, leaving the legs ON as heat dissapators, or making sure you do Not overdrive them , because the weaker dies will die.

Last edited: