Replacing a Luxeon 3 with a K2

Tabish

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
since the light is a 3AAA light, it 's probably not a good idea to put a K2 in there. The Vf of the current K2's is high over 4V and the 3 AAA battery configuration would probably not draw enough current to take advantage of the K2.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Tabish said:
HI. I ordered this flashlight and it uses a luxeon star LED (clone). I want to buy the K2's seperately and replace the original LED's. Can someone please tell me how to wire the K2 properly. Also, please tell me if i would need any resistors and how many ohms.
That light you ordered kicks ***. You can't get a brighter light for the money anywhere. I have transacted many of these lights, and every one loves them. Wait until you try it to decide whether to replace the emitter.

The emitter should be an easy swap. Unsolder the Lux III, solder the K2. As far as the resistor goes, resistors are a poor way to regulate power to the LED. Consider using a converter from The Sandwich Shoppe. They're inexpensive, and regulate power flat, and efficient. I can't advise which one until you know the Vf (forward voltage) of the K2 that you buy. See THIS CHART at the Sandwich Shoppe to decode the Luxeon part number and determine the Vf.

Once you know that, post a thread asking which converter to use with your emitter.

Bernie