SMJ led mod Pictures and beamshots added

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple smjled leftover and have been looking to find a good host(anyone got a princton tech Blast to sell cheap!:) )

I was in Walmart and saw a clearence on Garrety aluminum 2x AA xenon,for 4 bucks! It looked like it would come apart easy,so I grabbed it. Since the smjled likes 3 v I thought it would be an good host. It is the size of a mini mag,but has a side clicky button,and a relector like a reverse dico ball.It has a nice balance and rugged feel.It is also focusable so setting it for the new led should be easy!
It will be a nice little project for tonight!
It looks like I will have to bore out the reflector and epoxy the led to the base ,which easily unscrews!

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SMJ led mod

heres the pics
Garrety 2x AA

Original xenon bulb

Garrety with new Smjled!:)

4.5 volt to smjled WOW:)

I know its not world changing but ya gotta start somewhere when modding.It
now has a good center spot and wide spill .It took some effort to build up the led so it would focus with no donuthole.I just built up some JB weld after measuring how high it should be.Should have a long runtime.

Last edited:

ddaadd

Enlightened
Man that is great improvment over stock, I can't count the # of mini-m@gs

I've converted to SMJled......

How does the side clicky feel, does it have momentary on?

There is merit in a one handed flashlight for sure.....:grin2:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clicky has a nice feel,but a reverse clicy,with momentary off. Its also about an inch longer than a mini mag.I wish I had a way to up the voltage .I have a keymate with 4, 1.5 v batteries,coin cells.That really pumps it up.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to thinking ,what if I put an alkaline watch battery in there with 2 alkaline 1.5 v.There is room and they are all alkaline, so I wrapped the edges to prevent a short,and its way brighter, and even whiter! See first beamshots for comparison.Quite a difference.