I like IE7!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know lots of window bashers here and the general browser of choice seems to be Firefox. Indeed, I usually use Firefox a lot but anyway you look at it, IE7 blows the snot off of IE6. A huge improvement over it's predecessor.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has pop up blocker and phishing filter, not sure what other ad/spam filter controls. It has excellently implemented long overdue tab browsing. Also seems to operate much faster from as what I can see.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like some parts of it, and really dislike others.

(Notice Quickbeam's stars/liked/didn't/noticed/conclusions format. I hope the imitation flatters him!)

Rating:
2.5 stars
Fair/Good

Things I liked:
1. Cool new look.
2. Tabbed browsing.
3. New "anti-" tools.

Things I didn't like:
1. Some websites don't display correctly in IE7 (www.jpfo.org, for example).
2. The zoom function can REALLY mess things up.
3. Rolling back changes from IE's official site doesn't work for beans (for me, at least).

Other things I noticed:
1. Still hasn't gone back to using cached copies (as Opera does) for quicker back/forward navigation.
2. No Opera-esque mouse gestures.
3. Opera already has tabbed browsing and a zoom function.
4. I know few people with less than 3 popup/spyware/etc. blockers simultaneously active, so one more seems redundant.

Conclusions:
It has some nice ideas, but they are hugely flawed. A browser that doesn't display sites correctly is like a phone that can't call some people, and a zoom that screws up pages is like a car that needs to be turned off and on again every time you mess with the mirrors. MS needs to learn from the Opera folks how to make a proper zoom function (that doesn't cripple an open page), and they need to learn from the IE6 folks how to achieve nearly 100% site compatibility. The only reason I'll keep using it is because I am unable to roll back changes.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it's still catching up with Firefox, utility-wise. Adblocker means I can specify sites to block with wild cards (like anything with doubleclick in it) so NONE of their ads (pop-ups [which Firefox blocks already], images, scripts, objects, whatever) from any source can get through. I think this runs counter to Microsoft's philosophy of what browsers are for so I don't expect a REAL one to show up in IEx anytime soone (or ever).

Adblocking improves the browsing experience so much that I can't imagine ever going with a browser which doesn't have it. Because of it and other features, Firefox - to me - looked like the first full up browser which had the users' interests at heart, plus fast execution and a clean design.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Robban

Enlightened
Does it follow standards yet?...

Also I saw someone mentioned mouse gestures. If you like what is available in Opera (or as an extension in FireFox) I suggest you have a look at StrokeIt which gives you system wide mousegestures. I've been using it for a few years now and everytime I sit down at a computer without it I feel crippled now :D

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went into the Control Panel and uninstalled IE7. Fortunately, it defaulted back to IE6 when I restarted my computer.

The program isn't just flawed, it's highly unstable! Sometimes, when I click on the New Tab button, IE7 closes - it just disappears. No error messages or anything, just :poof: . If you're just reading the news on CNN or MSNBC's homepage, it's no big deal, but if you've just found something that you've been looking for for days, it's very bad. I avoided it by using Ctrl+T instead of clicking. However, I pressed the Windows key to get the Start Menu, and it disappeared! I had just found what I wanted at www.onlinemetals.com, and IE7 killed itself! That was the last straw for me, so I uninstalled it the hard way.

I'm back to using IE6, and there's a wonderful sense of reliability after using IE7.

I'll check out StrokeIt. I see that it's free. Thanks, Robban.