Yet another newbie alert

Mutie

Enlightened
Hey!

New here but have been doing LED's since the late 70's. Mostly low tech using series/parrallel strings running off a 9v. No resistors or other circuitry involved usually. Primary application has been costumes and accessories. I'm also in a band called the Mutaytor and we use LED's a lot. I'm in the process of designing costumes and accessories for different band members and performers. We use LED poi since many venues don't allow fire. And there are many different needs based on performers and musicians that dictate the design.

I was making a post with many questions but it was becoming excessively long and also could have gone in 2 or 3 different forums so I'm splitting that up and posting separately.

Quite a group here. I've spent several days reading different posts and topics. My mind is hurting a bit from information overload. I'm looking forward to swapping techniques and ideas.

I'm really pleased to see LED's becoming mainstream and the new technology. I waited for almost 20 years for cool blue LED's to happen. (The original SIC ones hardly count and I was not all that impressed with either the color or brightness and they were way too expensive.)

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF...from another musician...
We hope to use LED's on our stage aa well...some of these will be functional...ie lighting up the synth's console on a dark stage...
Others will be decorative. We could end up building large arrays of LED's and other lighting including some pyrotechnics controlled via MIDI using a spare midi channel and the synth's onboard event editor! Some of our songs are very descriptive (We are EMPOWERED, a Christian classic rock band in the making!)
EMPOWERTORCH is the derived name for the small LED torch building and modding enterprise I'm slowly putting together. Solid state lighting is the future of torches, so I thought it would be cool to develop a torch that EMPOWERED fans could have as a part of EMPOWERED merchandise as well as beimng a totally pratical lighting tool. So, the EMPOWERTORCH BTx (Box Torch) series was born, based upon a simple but reliable design, made from readily available components.
There are about 35 of these torches in existance in every day use.
We can produce virtually all LED colours in this format which may be a single or multi LED device.
Also, I'v been experimenting with commercial 2 and 3 cell torches, converting them to LED too, with fantastic results. With C and D cells, the commercial torch conversions have battery life of hundreds of hours!

Matt.

freeze12

Enlightened
Mutiny Sfears ... Welcome!!! Not only will Your Mind be hurting but so will Your Wallet after You take a Gander at the Mod's some Member's are doing,,,like Wayne(ElectroLumens)..dat2zip...etc... :0)

Mutie

Enlightened
I haven't purchased a single flashlight this year. (highly unusual for me since I have built a battery powered lightshow using and Atari 2600 case with a TI99-4a keyboard and custom keyboard controller that drives 40 flashlights and a Commodore 64 one that drives 64 so I have a 100 plus modified flashlights for this and it needs some upgrading) But I don't even want to mention how much I spent on LEDs today let alone this year.

Some very interesting flashlight mods here. I don't know if I'll get any of those but if I see a nice headlight conversion that is a definite canidate.

Aluminum Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Mutiny Sfears,

Warning!!! Warning!!! Warining!!!

This is a very dangerous place if you have any interest in lighting. It is very likeley that all of your income will be consumed rapapidly by this very debilitating deceaese, turn back while you slill can, it will only get worse!! Oh well, what the H-ll do I know? Never mind, you will be just fine, besides, we need to stimulate the ecomony!!!

----------

Aluminum Junkie