1 Watt SE Turbo: "FirePlug", "LittleSquat" (or other silly name here :-) )

McGizmo

Flashaholic
1 Watt SE Turbo: "FirePlug", "LittleSquat" (or other silly name here :) )

As a result of experimenting with various hosts and optic/ reflector photon bouncing, I decided to see if I could get a 1 Watt Luxeon to throw.

1Watt-Turbo.jpg

MORE INFO

In the spirit of the overdrive masters, I used a BadBoy 660 for a constant overdrive of the 1 Watt SE. In a bench test prior to circuit selection, I saw 3300 lux at 400 mA compared to 4900 lux at 660 mA. (probably 18" from target) Although there are diminishing returns on lumens per watt, since it's a Turbo, I went for Turbo Boost
tongue.gif

The results were better than I expected and the light actually throws! I got tired of waiting for a couple of 5W SE's I have on order to come in so this mod was a bit of a distraction.

For those who don't want to go to the More Info Link, I'll post some beam comparisons below:

beamshots.jpg

From left top and clockwise; Arc LS, E1/KL1, 5W HD Turbo and then the 1W SE Turbo.

What I find interesting in viewing the beam shots is the sharp delineation of the center beam on the 5W as well as the abundance of light from the HD which exits the Turbo directly without redirection, as compared to the 1 W SE.

The Turbo on the McLux single 123 power pak is reasonably comfortable in the hand and the bezel down pocket clip hangs the light nicely on a belt with all of the light below the waist and not jabbing into the love handles.
smile.gif
The "gate" between the end of the clip and the E2C adapter makes for a very secure carry.

I suspect the results of this beam are somewhat in keeping with other's mods using a 1W SE and standard sized M*G lights.
icon3.gif
Great beam but hardly a pocket light :)

- Don

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Re: 1 Watt SE Turbo: "FirePlug", "LittleSquat" (or other silly name here :) )

McGizmo,
After looking at your beamshots, the term "SPOT ON" came firmly to mindl. Nice work!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice beam from that SE. SE and reflector. That's the way to go (IMHO).
twak.gif

grin.gif

Wayne

JollyRoger

Enlightened

Don, you win the prize for creating the stubbiest looking flashlight....
smile.gif

I think the drastic change in diameter...from the battery pack to the turbo head is what does it.

Nice!

moses

Enlightened

Great job Don. Really, your work is absolutely the most amazing. Can't believe you're not running a CNC and yet being so productive in doing all these mods. Your work always looks so CLEAN and sharp. Again, I'm impressed and get pleasure out of looking at good work.

Incidentally, what is the clip made of and how tight is it? (Is it some kind of spring steel?)

MO

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don,

Your ingenuity always impresses me. I'm just waiting for you to get that beam into a pocket friendly light!

Aloha

Brian

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Awright Don, if you are willing I will buy this cool little thing -- BEFORE you put it up on one of those dang OKshuns of yours and the price gets out of reach...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Geeeeesh...you "Mod Wizards" never cease to amaze us layman!! This is indeed "Torch Think Tank"! I love the information and enjoy, certainly respect the talent, and skills, but I'm sure somebody is watching and scarfing ideas here!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Thanks guys!

Moses,

I didn't make the parts visible in the image, only designed them with the exception of the SF turbo head of course.
grin.gif
The pocket clip is stainless steel and it has enough elasticity to keep from deforming in typical use but it can be bent which I needed to do for clearance in this application.

Big Honu,

Thanks! This light will be pocket friendly when and if one of the optics experts designs an appropriate reflector/lens package that bend the light as needed; certainly beyond my ken!

Charlie,

You flatter me and ply me with coffee. We will need to work something out if you are serious. I needed to adjust the focal plane for the 1W SE which I did with a thin shim washer. If we do something for you, I'd like to make another LED-LA from scratch with proper positioning. If you can come up with a SF turbo head, I reckon I can get you the balance of parts. E-me.
grin.gif
We will also need to get some magic from Dat2zip. I used an old 660 mA driver and the 123 seems to be able to handle this. At some point, 700 or 750 mA (to the LED) the gross power demand on the 123 may be too much. Obviously a BB500 would work great but I know you like to ride 'em hard and put them to bed wet!
grin.gif

Darell,

If you find yourself still grinning, seek professional help or take a leisurely drive in your Rav.
tongue.gif

- Don

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the Wizard series from Wayne might be the answer. With Wizard 800ma or even Wizard 1A on E2e driving 1W LS will be very bright - LGI brightness in e2 size and constant brightness - a dream LS light:)

Alan

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think it's good to load the 1 watt LS @ 800 ma. Why not the 5 watter instead? Longer battery life?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Alan,

You might be right about the wizard but there is more power overhead with the wizard; less efficient but then you can go multi cell. As Nerd has pointed out, at somepoint the LED may not be happy over the long run
grin.gif

Nerd,

I am anxious to see how a 5W SE will perform in the turbo head. To date I have only tried a cyan 5W HD which is such a wimpy LED and ugly color that I never buttoned it up in a LA module. The 5W will likely have more photons originating out of the "sweet" spot so the beam may not be as effective. I expect something between the beam shot of the 1W SE VS 5W HD above. Only time will tell......

The whole point to this particular exercise was to see if I could get throw from a 1W with a single cell.

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic

Well, I just dropped by to view this thing in person earlier today. The spot and throw are amazing. No idea what the battery life would be like... but I can guess.
smile.gif

Don does stuff in metal what most people can only manage to do with Photoshop.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Along a similar vein, thanks to McGizmo, I got this utterly delightful Christmas Cracker:

e2e_kt1_5wls_01.jpg

Its a SF turbohead equipped with a 5W White LS LA and super-unavailable BB660! (6P is shown for comparison)

Here's another closer look at Don's marvellous work:

e2e_kt1_5wls_03.jpg

The 5WLS-LA drops in just like a regular SF incandescent LA. With the BB, this amazing fella will fire up using only 2AA nimhs (and outshines an Arc LS easily even with this). But use it with the E2e tube and you are seeing the beginning of the end of incandescents! See here:

e2e_kt1_5wls_04.jpg

And the BB660 is underdriving the 5-watter here too! Yowzer. Oh, and check out the crazy squarish beam center also.

My hat off to Don and Wayne again here - superb work!
grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Leo,

Glad you like it!
grin.gif

- Don

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by McGizmo:
At that point, it is messy but doable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is great news. Does it mean I'll be getting 5W LS in an E2e soon:))))

Alan

McGizmo

Flashaholic

tongue.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let' see... 800 ma for 1 watter...4 volts? 4.5 volts? 5 volts?

IF it's 4.5 volts, then, it's a 3.6 watter... Congrats Don... congrats...