DS Lite?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been home most of the time now, and i am Very Bored. I was looking at the Nintendo DS lite system that looks pretty awesome and alot smaller than the old one. Anybody have one and willing to tell about how good or bad it is? Thanks. Sorry for the Childish question.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
I have a regular DS, I want a lite a lot. My buddy has the lite. I have big hands and the original is comfortable, but the few times I've used his lite it is at least as comfy if not more, it would also be easier to carry with you as it is noticably smaller.

There are some great games for it... for all us mid to late 20's people new super mario bros is much like the original with some great updates. Brain age is suprisingly addicting considering it's mostly the homework you tried to avoid in school. I have Burnout legends, it is fun, I want Mario kart, advance wars DS, castlevania DS.

I have a blast with mine, as does my wife.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a DS lite! Best handheld I've ever tried, period. Sure, the PSP may have potentially more powerful hardware, but it's software leaves much to be desired and it can't do many things the DS can do to the touch screen. With the "Lite" upgrade, the screens are as good if not better and brighter than the PSP to boot!

The orginal DS may be more durable, see here: http://ds.ign.com/articles/721/721201p1.html

However, looking at them side by side (and size/style issues aside) there is no way anyone would choose the original DS at this point (unless you are on a budget- you can probably find a used original on the cheap). The screens on the new units are so crytstal clear that it makes it look like you are looking through mud when you view the older one.

I'm lucky so far in that I haven't encountered any problems with my DS Lite (and sold my original). Nintendo has very good customer service, so if a problem should arise, I'm not concerned.

As far as "killer ap" games you should definately check out: Mario Kart, Castlevania, Big Brain Academy, Kirby Canvas Curse (the first one that REALLY showed what the touch control can do) and Metriod Prime hunters. Tetris, Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga, Meteos, and Advance Wars are also very good.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
first thingy, the DS lite has a screen which produces better colour then DS(i think it is becuase of the thicker glass the original DS has)

it is way smaller.

it looks really square-ish but nice.

unlike the O DS, the DS lite have 4 brightness mode for the backlight BUT cannot be switched off unless done in the game.(and, all four modes are brighter then the original ds)

The screen borders touch when the clamshell is closed, therefore preventing an object from slipping between them and scratching or otherwise damaging the display surfaces.

Game Boy Advance cartridges now protrude about 1 cm from the Nintendo DS Lite's casing but it also comes with a non-protruding Game Boy Advance filler cartridge to protect the slot and maintain the slick aesthetics of the handheld when no Game Boy Advance game is inserted.

the DS lite much more durable, scratch-resistant touch screen.

features a much sturdier hinge than the previous model, which was somewhat fragile.

start and select buttons are move below the AB and XY buttons.