Your Door Locks Opened in 30 Seconds or Less

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Surprisingly dogs aren't really a deterrent for burglars. If you watch the show "It takes a Thief" you can see 1st hand that he continuosly breaks into homes with dogs without getting so much as licked. The owners are usually convinced that the dog will bite his head off, but the result is the exact opposite.

Illum

Flashaholic
the house is 38 years old....we only have one pair of keys to the front door,:ohgeez:
the yard is about one acre....no lights at night...:naughty:

Chances are burglars wont come, knowing it has been robbed many times...by:lolsign:

me
doing
beamshots
in
the
house
every
midnight!!

IT WORKS FOLKS...I DO BEAMSHOTS AROUND THE HOUSE CUZ TURNING ON LIGHTS RUIN NIGHT VISION, SO I WALK AROUND WITH MY g2....IN THE 10 YEARS I'VE LIVED HERE TWICE FORGETTING TO CLOSE THE FRONT DOOR...NOTHING STOLEN OR MOVED, PS: WE DONT NAVE AN ALARM SYSTEM, no dog....but the hamster bites....

VWTim

Enlightened
BugOutGear_USA said:
Surprisingly dogs aren't really a deterrent for burglars. If you watch the show "It takes a Thief" you can see 1st hand that he continuosly breaks into homes with dogs without getting so much as licked. The owners are usually convinced that the dog will bite his head off, but the result is the exact opposite.

Well they can a deterent. If you have your house locked up the same as the neighbors, and they don't know you have anything more valuble than the neighbors. Which house are they going to pick? The easier one, they are theif's afterall, and they do that because they're too lazy to work.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
but the hamster bites....

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I make it a point to clean my guns out in the driveway on the back of one of my trucks, in full view.

:buddies:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump locking isnt anything new. I made a hobby of opening lockers in highschool out of pure bordem. No real talent to it, just takes 3 minutes, two hands and twisting of the knob in the right sequence of directions til.......

Agree, it takes a thief many times broke a window somwhere or used an unlocked door to get in. Guard dogs did no good, nor did an alarm system as they rushed before the cops came.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, the video at the end shows a link to a pdf with all the required info to do it.

Not good!

AlexGT

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad installed a lock that can only be opened from the inside that is at the very top of the door; he originally did that to keep me in the house when I was young since I was too short to reach it unless I stood on a chair.

Since it was operated only from the inside; he said it was very secure but I figured someone could break the window next to the front door and try to reach in to turn it. He had also considered using a "keyed both side" dead bolt but if you lose the key and there's a house fire, you'll be trapped and burn to death.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
That is exactly the point about bump keys. The technique may have been around for a while, but only known to locksmiths and burglars. The problem now is that it has hit mainstream and any average joe (or deliquent juveniles) can do it thanks to all the press. It takes seconds to get into a house with little of no experience. Not to mention there is even a Bump Key forum out there, which I found with a simple google search.

I just ordered all new Medeco lock sets as replacements for our so called top of the line Baldwins.

gorn

Enlightened
I've picked locks the old fashoned way for years. It is true that the cheaper the lock the harder it is to pick. I guess it's because they are not as smoothly finished on the inside.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was a great video. I especially enjoyed the German with English subtitles. Damn lockpicks. I mean stupid locks! I don't know really what to think.

How about car door locks? Same?

Fortunately my front door lock doesn't work, so if I lock it, anyone with a key cannot open it. You can still exit, but you risk getting locked out. Oh well,

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, there are several bump-resistant locks out there, but Medeco is probably the best. Medeco's a well made lock with premium materials, but the tumbler pins not only lift to open the lock, they must be rotated a specific number of degrees. They are considered impossible to pick by many locksmiths: An easier way of entry is sought even by the pros.

Cheaper than the Medecos are "mushroom" tumbler locks, where the tumbler pins have a groove around their circumference. This prevents them from being bumped to the shear line between the lock cylinder and lock body (the principle behind bumping or ripping a lock).

There's a good Wikipedia article on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_keys

If you want to maximize home lock security, forget the Schlage and Kwikset. Even their "High Security" locks are the biggest freaking joke. And if you go through the expense of getting Medeco or Chubb locks (other names escape me at the moment) then be sure the door, frame and hinges are up to the task. At my house the doors have steel reinforcements around the wood that holds the lock... they're brass plated so they don't look out of place in a residential area. And of course make sure your security is adequate in other areas, don't flaunt wealth, etc.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
How about car door locks? Same?
Yup. http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/carkey.html

For the past few years, Bay Area cops have pursued a ring of thieves that break into Hondas and Acuras with "jiggle" keys – keys with the teeth shaved down so they can turn the tumblers inside any car's door lock. After the thieves gain access, they shuffle through the glove compartment and snatch the manual, where dealers – unbeknownst to many car owners – often leave an extra valet key.
And then the insurance company will deny the claim.