Electronic Deadbolt (Door) Locks

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a lot of experience with "non-traditional" deadbolt (door) locks?

If you look at reviews that were supposedly written by individual consumers, you'll find many serious complaints from frustrated/angry users.

Any idea why? At this point, is the hardware/software/firmware technology simply "not ready for prime time"?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Mine suckered darn thing kept unlocking my door and I didn't even even know it till I got home.. I forgot it's brand

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Does anyone have a lot of experience with "non-traditional" deadbolt (door) locks?

If you look at reviews that were supposedly written by individual consumers, you'll find many serious complaints from frustrated/angry users.

Any idea why? At this point, is the hardware/software/firmware technology simply "not ready for prime time"?
Electric door strike technology is mature and extremely reliable, but I wouldn't trust the signaling/control mechanism to Wi-Fi or bluetooth. If I were to install an electronic lock I'd go with a hardwired industrial-grade controller. I would also not put that controller on my home network.

Last edited:
Reactions: hsa

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've have (3) of the schlage brand from home depot for ~10 years now. They are excellent. 9v battery lasts years even through multiple daily uses. (2) are under roof and get used a LOT. (1) is on an outbuilding, exposed to brutal sunlight, rain, and bird poop. It's perfect also.

The reason the battery lasts so long is that you actuate the mechanism. The electronics only move a small solenoid for locking/unlocking. This helps if you have a deadbolt that's tight in the hole with friction/binding.

The buttons are proving resistant to fading/rubbing numbers off.. this way you can't tell which numbers makeup my code(s).

Buy it. So nice to not carry keys anymore, to not drop what you are doing on a Saturday and have to go get keys.

They will accept extra codes. So you can tell someone a code, then delete it w/o messing up your favorite.

1651330565669.png

I also have another outbuilding w/ a different brand. The batteries actually move the deadbolt itself. It's doing well also, exposed to rain/sun/etc and with heavy usage.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
Electric door strike technology is mature and extremely reliable, but I wouldn't trust the signaling/control mechanism to Wi-Fi or bluetooth. If I were to install an electronic lock I'd go with a hardwired industrial-grade controller. I would also not put that controller on my home network.
PhotonWrangler -

I'm not a big fan of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, particularly when it comes to security hardware. Unfortunately, it seems like most electronic deadbolt systems designed for residential use utilize one (or both) of these communication methods.

I've noticed that some commercial facilities use what appear to be mechanical keypad deadbolt systems. From what I've read, however, mechanical keypad deadbolts are less secure than electronic ones. Is this true?

Actually, what I'd like to find, if possible, is a very secure/reliable deadbolt system that allows an authorized user to choose between two (or more) access methods (for example, between using a physical (mechanical) key versus keying in a code using the keypad). Thus, even if they didn't have a physical key and/or cellphone handy (but knew the code), they would be able to unlock the door. (Note: In this particular situation, only one authorized user will be given access to the door.)

Any suggestions?

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
I've have (3) of the schlage brand from home depot for ~10 years now. They are excellent. 9v battery lasts years even through multiple daily uses. (2) are under roof and get used a LOT. (1) is on an outbuilding, exposed to brutal sunlight, rain, and bird poop. It's perfect also.

The reason the battery lasts so long is that you actuate the mechanism. The electronics only move a small solenoid for locking/unlocking. This helps if you have a deadbolt that's tight in the hole with friction/binding.

The buttons are proving resistant to fading/rubbing numbers off.. this way you can't tell which numbers makeup my code(s).

Buy it. So nice to not carry keys anymore, to not drop what you are doing on a Saturday and have to go get keys.

They will accept extra codes. So you can tell someone a code, then delete it w/o messing up your favorite.

View attachment 27009

I also have another outbuilding w/ a different brand. The batteries actually move the deadbolt itself. It's doing well also, exposed to rain/sun/etc and with heavy usage.

turbodog -

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler -

I'm not a big fan of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, particularly when it comes to security hardware. Unfortunately, it seems like most electronic deadbolt systems designed for residential use utilize one (or both) of these communication methods.

I've noticed that some commercial facilities use what appear to be mechanical keypad deadbolt systems. From what I've read, however, mechanical keypad deadbolts are less secure than electronic ones. Is this true?

Actually, what I'd like to find, if possible, is a very secure/reliable deadbolt system that allows an authorized user to choose between two (or more) access methods (for example, between using a physical (mechanical) key versus keying in a code using the keypad). Thus, even if they didn't have a physical key and/or cellphone handy (but knew the code), they would be able to unlock the door. (Note: In this particular situation, only one authorized user will be given access to the door.)

Any suggestions?
FF, there is one type of mechanical pushbutton lock from Kaba that is very rugged and popular in high security areas, but it had a serious design flaw that made it stupid easy to bypass. That flaw was fixed in the 2011-2012 time frame so their current version is good as far as I know. It has 5 round metal pushbuttons and can be unlocked via combination or a key. It's purely mechanical - no electronics inside. We have a couple at our workplace (I've confirmed they don't have that flaw) and they work well. With any pushbutton lock, the buttons should never be painted as that can reveal the wear pattern and thus the numbers used.

I looked through LL's youtube channel for the Schlage lock that Turbodog recommended above and I couldn't find anything bad about it, so I'm guessing this is a viable option also.

I've seen some electric strike locks that used commercial door hardware and are controlled by a Raspberry Pi or similar. This is an option if (1) you don't need a keyway entrance, (2) you keep that computer off the network and lock down it's built-in wireless interfaces, and (3) provide rock solid backup power. Building this around a Raspberry Pi means that you don't have to pay the hardware costs and licensing fee for a commercial controller port.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I looked through LL's youtube channel for the Schlage lock that Turbodog recommended above and I couldn't find anything bad about it, so I'm guessing this is a viable option also.

Most of his bypasses of electronic locks are based on magnets. I'd say the schlage is immune to such attacks from what I've seen of the inside. And honestly, someone's NOT going to do that. You're gonna get a brick through your window first.

Note: most of these ship with a default code. Be sure to change it.

There's usually 1) default code 2) programming code. Either will open the lock on the models I have.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
This is an option if (1) you don't need a keyway entrance, (2) you keep that computer off the network and lock down it's built-in wireless interfaces, and (3) provide rock solid backup power.
And 4) the RPi doesn't crash on you (a common issue I gather because of SD card corruption).

Note: most of these ship with a default code. Be sure to change it.
Reminded if when I bought a safe and the moving guys mentioned that some embarrassing percentage of their clients don't change the passcode. 123456 will get you into a lot of electronic safes.

turbodog

Flashaholic
A different brand on another outbuilding. The bolt is powered in/out. Runs on 4aa cells. I put lithiums in it (due to high temps) 3-4 years ago. Gets used over once/day at least.

1651350756355.png

1651350770972.png

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever noticed how it seems like every time you start one project, other (higher priority) projects pop up that must be handled first? (Life can be frustrating.)

Unfortunately, this means I'm going to have to bookmark this thread and put the project on hold.

In any case... thanks to everyone who provided information in this thread!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Mine was Bluetooth and say I forget to unlock it with phone and use key it would just re lock it . Or unlock it so I'd go out lock door with key and it would unlock its self. I didn't know it was doing this lol. I'd just get home and door would be unlocked lol

jtr1962

Flashaholic

View attachment 27009

I'm using this version for the last ~5 years. I'm using a 9V NiMH rechargeable. No problems. The battery goes a long time between needing recharges.

The only caveat for anyone using these is to NOT make the mistake lots of people do, namely to use your street address as the entry code. I know my late father would have done exactly that.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm using this version for the last ~5 years. I'm using a 9V NiMH rechargeable. No problems. The battery goes a long time between needing recharges.

The only caveat for anyone using these is to NOT make the mistake lots of people do, namely to use your street address as the entry code. I know my late father would have done exactly that.
Are those buttons made of a membrane keyboard, capacitive sensing or something else? The product description calls it a "touchscreen."

Latest posts