Our Garage Door is CoVeReD In... Snails!?!?

markr6

Flashaholic
snail.gif

nbp

Flashaholic
Have you figured out what has attracted the snails to your door?

No, not yet. :sigh:

I was thinking that the garage must be near an area where a lot of snails are already using to reproduce themselves.

Possibly...though I'm not sure why it would just start this year. I should see if I can find them in the woods around the garage, stuck on trees or something.

Lately, a lot of snails been showing up around my place too. Just walking in the yard I feel several crunch underfoot. Wall under one window is covered in snails. They stay outside, so I don't mind. There's also a giant slug that comes to visit every few nights, and lotsa salamanders. Like, I move the trash can, there'll be like, 30 tiny salamanders.

Interesting! What are the conditions where the snails are congregating? What color is the wall? What surrounds the area? Can you post a picture? I would be interested to see if they look like the ones on our garage. As to the giant slug, does he look like this guy I found recently? I discovered this is a giant garden slug. I think they come from Asia to consume our crops if I recall correctly. :sick2:

hgr3.jpg

Sounds like they're preparing an invasion :tinfoil:

I wonder if it can be bad for the mortar between the bricks... if they do climb brick walls.

Gastropod revolution! Ahhhhhh!

I think they can climb almost anything, but they don't seem to do any damage. :shrug:

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like they're preparing an invasion :tinfoil:

+

the plausibility and deduction reduction concurs with a close encounter...

_______^ this is what nbp's garage looks like to the snails

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
When I read -
[h=2]Our Garage Door is CoVeReD In... Snails!?!?[/h]- My first thought was - Stop Throwing Them Then.

:D

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

the plausibility and deduction reduction concurs with a close encounter...

_______^ this is what nbp's garage looks like to the snails

Maybe the garage door is symbolic of Devil's tower for the snails... or just too far to get there before the freeze

[...]

hgr3.jpg

Gastropod revolution! Ahhhhhh!

I think they can climb almost anything, but they don't seem to do any damage. :shrug:

That's a big slug. I sincerely hope they don't latch onto brains!

A tiny light bulb just came up in my head; this year has seen the most rainy summer in a looong time in our part (east of the great lakes). Since you're surrounded by the great lakes, perhaps the humidity level allowed them to reproduce like never before, therefore explaining why they are overflowing all the way to your house. Still doesn't quite explain why the garage door, but that could be a lead. I don't know about Tennessee, though.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
We didn't have any dry or super hot spell like we usually get, so perhaps the abundance of water does play a key part.

My snails are the round ones, not the conical ones. They're all over around here, find a snail? It's almost always one of these. I haven't seen the giant crowd in a while, just random stragglers of about 10-15 snails. They climb up this one brick wall, but it is a very moist location, with an old wooden piece of furniture that is disintegrating and turning to mush. I've also seen smaller ones (maybe just babies?) on our back window, which overlooks a very shaded, wooded ravine. It is funny to see all the random trails they leave on the windows, you can see where each one had been.

I don't have a picture, but they are very similar to these dark grey ones with thin, translucent shells. https://www.google.com/search?q=Oxychilus&tbm=isch Apparently called the glass garlic snail? Idunno, I just know that I crunch a lot of them just walking from my porch to the street.

The slug that hangs out around here is about half that size, with less striking dark spots than the one you posted earlier. He usually hangs out on the cement porch.